Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Urgent: Airline won't take power wheelchair (now)

Denver, Colorado USA ---- C5/6 Complete 1985

Urgent: Airline won't take power wheelchair (now)

My nurse is in Phoenix trying to bring my power wheelchair back to Denver on Frontier Airlines. We set it up ahead of time. They charged me for the wheelchair as baggage. Now, with 2 hours before takeoff, they refuse to take the wheelchair because it cannot be driven (not working); it can only be pushed. I have suggested that they remove the batteries, saving 100 lbs, but they still won't do it. They of course will not allow my nurse to push it for them. Any ideas? We've talked to everyone at Frontier.
    "Cherish your tears. If you can cry, you still have some humanity left, and you are reclaiming more of it." -- David Kelly

Blog Entries
    Damn! I dunno other than going "full Karen" on them, asking for the manger, to see that policy in writing, etc, etc. What a crappy thing for them to do. Frankly, the idea of some baggage flunky "driving" an expensive piece of medical equipment, untrained and unqualified, bothers me.
    Last edited by Oddity; 11-21-2019 at 02:38 PM.
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

and charging a baggage fee? Shut the fuck up! Wow! Good luck and let us know how it goes.
    Rollin' since '89. Complete C8

Quote Originally Posted by dnvrdave View Post
    Now, with 2 hours before takeoff, they refuse to take the wheelchair because it cannot be driven (not working)
    I thought they prefer to push it vs trying to drive it.

Quote Originally Posted by HACKNSACK44 View Post
    I thought they prefer to push it vs trying to drive it.
    Me too. In fact, I never let anyone drive my wheelchair at my house. They disengage the clutches and push it.

So... they didn't take the wheelchair. I'm not even sure where it is (can't reach my nurse or Frontier); I assume my nurse is on the flight now.

My next decision, assuming Frontier holds the wc until tomorrow when my brother can go back to the airport and get it, is whether to:
    1) Try a different airline, like Southwest, and see if they will take it, i.e. fly my nurse back there again.
    2) Fly down myself and use a different airline. Maybe I have more leverage, being there, and being disabled.
    3) Find a wheelchair company (or person?) in Phoenix that will get it working. It was working great, but sat in my brother's garage for a year without being charged, and now it won't charge. I have a working set of batteries here, and I was going to see if that was all the wc needed.

I am trying to get Frontier to give me a free ticket, since this is the only reason my nurse flew there, to get the wc, there and back in one day.
    "Cherish your tears. If you can cry, you still have some humanity left, and you are reclaiming more of it." -- David Kelly

Is the issue that you as the chair user on not actually on the flight? I can see that as being the reason they a charging you a baggage fee, vs. it being considered medical equipment. I still don't understand their argument of needing to drive the chair. I never allow someone to drive my chair when on flights.

Thanks all for your replies. Here is part of the complaint I just submitted to Frontier Airlines...

"Would you please send me the written Frontier policy that states that Frontier (or airport?) personnel are required (or even authorized) to drive a person's expensive power wheelchair? I never allow anyone else to drive my wheelchair; it cost more than $10,000. I require them to disengage the clutches and push the wheelchair by hand. It is not difficult.

What Frontier Airlines did to me today is suspicious. I do not believe there is any policy against pushing a power wheelchair by hand. In fact it should be required."

The airline should not let anyone operate the chair, it should be in push mode only. But by the same token, the airlines shouldn't be expected to place the chair in freewheel, or remove batteries.

Here is their latest note to me. It's a completely different story than the one they gave at the airport. It seems to imply that they would have taken the wheelchair if I paid more money (or it would have been free if I was there). That's what I expected when I made the reservation, but they treated it like a regular bag (on the phone reservation).

"Frontier does provide transportation accommodations for mobility devices for passengers with a disability. In the event that a passenger without a disability is transporting a mobility device, regular baggage restrictions will apply. We do have a weight limit in the cargo hold of 99 pounds and all applicable baggage and overweight fees would apply. I sincerely apologize if this was not clearly communicated to you or your nurse and for the inconvenience this caused to her travel plans."

Quote Originally Posted by dnvrdave View Post
    Here is their latest note to me. It's a completely different story than the one they gave at the airport. It seems to imply that they would have taken the wheelchair if I paid more money (or it would have been free if I was there). That's what I expected when I made the reservation, but they treated it like a regular bag (on the phone reservation).

"Frontier does provide transportation accommodations for mobility devices for passengers with a disability. In the event that a passenger without a disability is transporting a mobility device, regular baggage restrictions will apply. We do have a weight limit in the cargo hold of 99 pounds and all applicable baggage and overweight fees would apply. I sincerely apologize if this was not clearly communicated to you or your nurse and for the inconvenience this caused to her travel plans."

So did you fly to Arizona and brought the chair back to Co with out you?

Then I can see why the would charge...

But if the chair broke and your aid was trying to get the chair back and you took a different flight then they should allow the chair to come back no charge.

Sometimes when one fly's budget airlines like Frontier and Allegiant air the customer experience for our community is a major challenge.

You get gate agents try and spin there idea of policy and stand firm.

Pulling batteries out will not happen as they dont have the skills and tools.

In your case I would have call the corporate office if you cant get an answer at the airport.

Any chance next time you can fly Southwest?

Also check your messages...

Frontier Airlines

Phone, (720) 374-4200
    Address. 7001 Tower Rd;
    Denver, Colorado 80249
    Last edited by RollinPositive; 11-22-2019 at 01:43 PM.