Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Urgent: Airline won't take power wheelchair (now)

Quote Originally Posted by Rustyjames View Post
    The airline should not let anyone operate the chair, it should be in push mode only. But by the same token, the airlines shouldn't be expected to place the chair in freewheel, or remove batteries.

Not sure where your getting your information but I always give Southwest the option to ride my chair down the the elevator then to the tarmac to the plane.

We act as if these chairs take some type of special option to drive when its simply sit and push the joystick.

Remember to those that never fly dont fly this is a business of leaving and arriving on time.

The fast it can be delivered to the lift or conveyor belt to get loaded the happier everyone is!

Some of these chair weigh 400+ lb how would you like to push that around an airport and be timed on pushing!

Most of the time they will thank you and prefer to push but its fun to watch the ones that power it to the plane and thank you for helping them and comment how fun it was to ride it!

FYI The airlines ALWAYS place the chair in and out of freewheel...

As an update I have been working with dnvrdave and the CEO's office at Frontier to try and get the chair from Phoenix to Colorado.

They are standing firm like other airlines in that they will only fly a power chair, wheelchair or mobility scooter when the end user is flying with the device.

They did comment that there should never be an extra charge for devices needed.

Will keep you all posted on the outcome.

How did it go?
    Daniel

My advice to anyone thinking of flying is to (a) get a copy of the Air Carrier's Access Act, read and understand it and bring it with you, (b) find a legal advocate who's familiar with the law and your rights and bring their phone number as well. They will be more than happy to sue if your rights are violated. Both are good to have should you run into problems. But, hopefully, the following will eliminate or reduce the chances of them ever happening. So next (c) contact the person in charge of ADA/ disability services prior to booking your flight. Make them aware of your specific needs, make sure they guarantee to accommodate them; note the date, time, name and phone number of the airline representative you spoke with, (d) print out directions in large type (even photos with arrows helps) telling handlers and ground crews how to disengage, lock and secure your chair. Put this sheet in a plastic sleeve and hang in on your chair along with your contact info, flight info etc. then (e) cross your fingers and hope they still don't screw it up. Anyone old enough to remember those old Samsonite luggage commercials where they threw a suitcase into a cage with a giant gorilla... visualize that. By law an airline is supposed to return your chair to you in the same condition you gave it to them.

When I used to travel with a manual folding chair I also always removed my seat cushion and footrests and brought them into the cabin. I also printed a letter that inside of the chair back. Why? Because someone saw my chair sitting on the jetway just outside the plane door, hopped in it, took off and had to be chased down.

Anything that could be broken off or lost is best removed or secured by you before it leaves the jetway. If your footrests come off have someone seatbelt or otherwise lash them to the frame. Happy landings!

Quote Originally Posted by Randyman View Post
    My advice to anyone thinking of flying is to (a) get a copy of the Air Carrier's Access Act, read and understand it and bring it with you, (b) find a legal advocate who's familiar with the law and your rights and bring their phone number as well. They will be more than happy to sue if your rights are violated. Both are good to have should you run into problems. But, hopefully, the following will eliminate or reduce the chances of them ever happening. So next (c) contact the person in charge of ADA/ disability services prior to booking your flight. Make them aware of your specific needs, make sure they guarantee to accommodate them; note the date, time, name and phone number of the airline representative you spoke with, (d) print out directions in large type (even photos with arrows helps) telling handlers and ground crews how to disengage, lock and secure your chair. Put this sheet in a plastic sleeve and hang in on your chair along with your contact info, flight info etc. then (e) cross your fingers and hope they still don't screw it up. Anyone old enough to remember those old Samsonite luggage commercials where they threw a suitcase into a cage with a giant gorilla... visualize that. By law an airline is supposed to return your chair to you in the same condition you gave it to them.

When I used to travel with a manual folding chair I also always removed my seat cushion and footrests and brought them into the cabin. I also printed a letter that inside of the chair back. Why? Because someone saw my chair sitting on the jetway just outside the plane door, hopped in it, took off and had to be chased down.

Anything that could be broken off or lost is best removed or secured by you before it leaves the jetway. If your footrests come off have someone seatbelt or otherwise lash them to the frame. Happy landings!

Flying does not to be that difficult, its important that its kept simple, we have enough things to do and take care of.

As someone that travels a lot leave the chair just the way it is, if your headrest removes take it off and store it over head. It makes your chair fit better in the opening for luggage below the plane.

Once people start taking things off you increase the chance of losing parts, bolts, screws etc.

Just work with the ground crew in advance of boarding on what you need and how your chair breaks down, free wheels etc.

Then relax...

In regards to this original post Frontier did not allow the power chair to fly back on its own from Phoenix to Denver so as a lesson to others Frontier agents said it would be ok for a caretaker to fly with the chair and the caretaker was stopped at the ticket counter.

Lots of time wasted, money spent and 3 weeks later the chair and enduser are still in different cities.

To transport a chair from one city to another please use a more traditional way like uship if your not able to travel with your chair.

Plus stay away from extreme budget airlines like Frontier and Allegiant air!!

Blog Entries
    Seems as if they aren't making it difficult for us, they're destroying our equipment at surprising rates too!

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usa...amp/4270695002
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

Quote Originally Posted by Oddity View Post
    Seems as if they aren't making it difficult for us, they're destroying our equipment at surprising rates too!

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usa...amp/4270695002

I am not saying damage doesn't happen but I haven't had any in years...

Just a few simple steps need to be taken at the airport, know what to expect and making sure your dealing with the right people at the airport to make sure your flight goes smooth.

Plus if you have a challenge how to address it.

My guess is when people post these kind of post they are not travelers and think it servers come kind positive reinforcement.

What these "hysteric" articles do when someone post them is to convince people that might want to fly to stay home.

Believe me there are places to see and things to do and there is NO reason because one uses a wheelchair or power chair not to enjoy the opportunity to travel by airlines!

I have said this before if anyone needs someone to walk them through it from marking arrangements, to being there for flight day I am more then willing to help.

Have given out my phone number many times to people I have never met just to offer that security needed.

One of the best stories I can share is HACKNSACK44 reached out to me as his wife had just got married and wanted to honeymoon in Las Vegas so we messaged back and forth and he got his whole trip planned and they even sent me a selfie once loaded in the plane.

The had a great trip and now they travel all over the US and just enjoyed a trip to the French Quarter...

Do things happen...of course but everything is fixable and we learn from each adventure.

Blog Entries
    Agreed. No one should not fly for fear of their chair being damaged. No one should fly ignorant of the possibility either. Be prepared for any eventuality as best as one can, especially when far from home.
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

Quote Originally Posted by RollinPositive View Post
    One of the best stories I can share is HACKNSACK44 reached out to me as his wife had just got married and wanted to honeymoon in Las Vegas so we messaged back and forth and he got his whole trip planned and they even sent me a selfie once loaded in the plane.

The had a great trip and now they travel all over the US and just enjoyed a trip to the French Quarter...

Do things happen...of course but everything is fixable and we learn from each adventure.
    RollinPositive is a great guy and he is very helpful with traveling. If I have any problems or situations that I need help with he does not hesitate to help me out. And yes things do happen you just gotta keep on moving.