Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Cushion besides Roho

Quote Originally Posted by MikeP2013 View Post
    Just got out of rehab and my rear is sore! No breakdowns but while in rehab they used foam cushion and in plain manual chair, since was do weigh bearing on wrists hence no power chair. At least surgeon upped me to 5lbs to one and 3lbs to other.
    Now I'm home and my rear is happy be back on ROHO and powered mobility with tilt, leg and recline!!!
    Were you in an acute rehab center or a sub-acute (nursing home)?

Always insist on being transferred to your own chair and cushion when in the hospital. Hospital chairs and cushions (if any) are not designed for those at high risk for pressure injuries.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Quote Originally Posted by ejl10 View Post
    How is it for transfers? Looks like it might be a little unstable to push on. Of course, Roho isn't brilliant in that aspect either.
    It's about the same as Roho for transfers. I really like the way you can move the captive air cells around to adjust pressure side to side - back to front.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-8wSJP7sGM

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Were you in an acute rehab center or a sub-acute (nursing home)?

Always insist on being transferred to your own chair and cushion when in the hospital. Hospital chairs and cushions (if any) are not designed for those at high risk for pressure injuries.

(KLD)
    Nursing home was closest to our home. While in hospital was on heart floor, kept in bed told use tilt on bed for ADL til after surgery on wrist 4 days after admission. Got to nursing home listed as dependent level. While being transferred to bed it was to high and slide partway to floor hitting bed frame. Took a few days before I could sit on my own. Only have Medicare so 21 days covered. They did have tap call button I could use since could not use regular type.
    Had some redness and small abrasion on rear that nursing home treated. Looks good now.
    Didn't have anyway get my chair to hospital or nursing home.
    With holiday will be Mon before Home Heath starts.

Quote Originally Posted by Yadier View Post
    I switched to this. https://vicair.com/product/wheelchai...ector-o2-10cm/
    No more air leak worries.
    The more I study it, the more I want one. First thing I'd adjust for my fit (if I get one), reduce the prostate hump/cell (cushion folks call them leg separators). Adjustability of cells really attracts me.
    Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway
    Steve Mcqueen (Mr Cool)

Gearhead,
    Regarding "looking for a cushion ... other than Roho brand?" and "This is my point... There are so many new products, technologies ..."

If air cushions work well for you, but you're considering non-Roho options; as others have already mentioned there are indeed other products/technologies. For example, other valved air cushions include the "Star Stabil-Air" and "Star Starlock" cushions. These are valved air cushions (i.e., similar to a Roho) but each features a newer technology that Roho cannot yet offer due to active patents. The Star Stabil-Air adds soft foam pillars inside all of the air cells, and the Star Starlock can retain the air cell topology based upon the shape pressed upon it (e.g., a person's bottom). For people who must use a wheelchair cushion, these features can translate into a meaningful difference in one's day-to-day life (e.g., greater stability for people with limited or no trunk control).

Gearhead and OGD and Yadier (though Yadier likely already knows given the stated history with Vicair),
    Regarding "I switched to ... [Vicair] ... No more air leak worries."

The Vicair cushions represent another air cushion option. Present Vicairs do not employ a valve. The cushions' numerous permanently sealed air cells entirely eliminate the catastrophic failure mode associated with many valved air cushion models like those made by Roho and Star. The type and degree of Vicair user-sculpting can be especially beneficial in many cases. Note that while Vicair air cells are referred to as permanently sealed, each individual cells' volume of air does gradually diminish with the passing of time (as is the case with almost everything made to contain air). The rate of air loss depends on several factors. It's not unusual to need additional air cells after a couple of years.