Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Opinions on Hospital Beds?

The Joerns UltraCare XT above is a great hospital bed frame, but be sure to get it with the optional leg raising feature if you need that for edema control, and with the optional battery pack if you live in an area where power outages are common. It goes very low to the ground for downhill transfers into bed and has a wire mesh rigid deck which supports LAL and other pressure reducing mattresses very well. We issued this commonly when I was working at a VA SCI Center.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Also has Trendelenburg Mode
    Robert

live free, drive fast

Trendelenburg position is no longer recommended as a method for management of low blood pressure.

https://litfl.com/trendelenburg-posi...nsive-patient/

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Doing some research came across Span America, Advantage Q - series hospital beds. What do you think of this bed and with Medicare as my primary insurance, BCBS picks up everything else, how do I get Medicare and my insurance to pay the most and for me to pay the lease?

http://www.spanamerica.com/mc-advantage-series.php

I can't see the maximum/minimum high/low for this bed frame on their website. It does not offer an option of a battery back-up power system as the Joerns bed frame above does, but otherwise looks very similar.

(KLD)

It does come with a battery backup option, however, since the house has a generator is not critical. Just doing my research before getting one.

Height Floor to Mattress Support 7-7/8" – 30"
    Deck Angles - Back Elevation 0 – 70?
    Deck Angles - Knee Elevation 0 – 30?
    Bed Length - Overall Length 84-3/4” / 88-3/4”
    Bed Length - Sleep Surface 76" / 80"
    Bed Width - Sleep Surface 35"
    Weight of Bed (without accessories) 160 lbs / 73 kg
    Safe Working Load 500 lbs / 227 kg
    Warranty Mechanical: 5 years
    Frame: 15 years
    Welds: 15 years

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Trendelenburg position is no longer recommended as a method for management of low blood pressure.
    (KLD)
    I am a C5/6 quad and I have never needed the traditional Trendelenburg feature, however I do require reverse Trendelenburg to relieve and control my acid reflux. Without it I experience serious AD. I use it for the first 2 or 3 hours of sleep and then finish my night's rest horizontal. If I make the mistake of sleeping all night in the reverse Trendelenburg position by morning I will end up with edema in my feet and ankles.

Regarding backup power, I've noticed that many of the bed manufacturers are offering this option for their beds. If the added expense is a problem, I find that the standard office backup Power Supply is a more useful option. They can be found used on Craigslist for practically nothing if not free. Simply replace the batteries (my last set lasted nearly five years). Using one of these units allows me to plug in my bed and mattress, and I use a second unit for the computer and TV.

Sheets for power bed:
    Just passing along my experience here - discovered about a year after getting our power beds that the best time to get those "Twin XL" sheets that fit the beds is August and September when those tall, basketball-playing students are headed to college. Apparently the dorms are loaded with the longer twin beds.

Quote Originally Posted by QuadmanJr View Post
    I am a C5/6 quad and I have never needed the traditional Trendelenburg feature, however I do require reverse Trendelenburg to relieve and control my acid reflux. Without it I experience serious AD. I use it for the first 2 or 3 hours of sleep and then finish my night's rest horizontal. If I make the mistake of sleeping all night in the reverse Trendelenburg position by morning I will end up with edema in my feet and ankles.

Regarding backup power, I've noticed that many of the bed manufacturers are offering this option for their beds. If the added expense is a problem, I find that the standard office backup Power Supply is a more useful option. They can be found used on Craigslist for practically nothing if not free. Simply replace the batteries (my last set lasted nearly five years). Using one of these units allows me to plug in my bed and mattress, and I use a second unit for the computer and TV.
    What battery backup would you recommend?