Thread: Negative pressure in SP tube and drainage bag

Question Negative pressure in SP tube and drainage bag

Somehow, there is this negative pressure buildup with my SP tube, extension tube and the leg bag set up.

I've tried buying the vented leg bag set up.

I've tried to add additional air into the leg bag.

It appears the only solution that I have to reduce the poolingOf urine in my bladder and kidneys which then leads to kidney pain and very intense nerve pain is simply unplugging the extension tubing from the French catheter.

There has to be a better way.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this before? It seems to be something that has be

When I used an extension tube the bag would have some amount of air in it. Always opened the bag drain valve and let the air out first thing when I put it on so I never noticed it blocking drainage from my bladder. Sounds like you already tried this. Never know how to help with these things but no one else responded to your post so I did.
    "Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed." - Hunter Thompson
    T5/6 complete

if there is a vacuum in your sp tube then the bladder should be emptied (unless the vacuum draws the bladder against both openings in the catheter and blocks it-something I wouldn't expect possible)
    I have seen negative pressure expressed by the leg bag tube when it is somewhat flattened by that vacuum. It has never been a problem for me.
    69yo male T12 complete since 1995
    NW NJ

Thank you both. It’s something that I’ve had to deal with on and off. If the pain was not so intense I would not be as desperately searching for an answer. The very odd thing is that some days I wake up in the Neuropathic and kidney pain is two out of 10 and other days I wake up and it’s eight or nine out of 10.

I’m trying to reduce all variables. This is been an ongoing issue for me feel last six months but when I go to bed praying for a good day I know that something needs to be done. Consulting with the urology and primary care for maybe some out-of-the-box ideas.

The best solution at night that I’ve found is to skip the Night bag and have the extension tube drain into A very clean 1 gallon of clear milk jug. This has made some difference when I sleep – but does not guarantee as stated above that the SP will drain properly. It’s about time for me to change the indwelling in the next week or so but I want to make sure I start with a new extension tube and drainage bag won’t provide any negative pressure.

I hope some of this makes sense Dash the neuropathic pain it seems that the memory And has had the best of me for the majority of the week.
    and has had the best of me for the majority of the week. THANK YOU

This community is there treasure and I can’t think you enough for providing some context. I’ve been on here for many years And I think everyone who reads and I think everyone who reads and or comments for your time.

You may want to consider a discussion with your SCI-Nurse or Urology Nurse about a different catheter that has a valve that would allow pressure reduction.

pbr
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Thank you PBR. I have been in touch with the urologist that she is booked out months in advance and so I’ve written to her (very detailed) extensively. The response that I received was ‘ this isn’t something that can be worked in an email’ this is a visit. But the problem is now so that’s why am searching and trying everything.