Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why do you need a doctor prescription to buy a urinary catheter?

Question Why do you need a doctor prescription to buy a urinary catheter?

I've often wondered why a RX is necessary to purchase catheters, colostomy supplies and other non-drugs items.
    It's not like these items are being abused or misused by anyone.
    T12 Complete since 1982. TiLite Tx

They're not necessary. Only if you want insurance to cover it. You can buy all those supplies over the counter.

Quote Originally Posted by rshadd View Post
    I've often wondered why a RX is necessary to purchase catheters, colostomy supplies and other non-drugs items.
    I think it varies by state. I can remember being in NJ visiting family years ago and they wanted an RX for catheters (may have changed since then). I talked my way through it but they were the same supplies that I didn't need RX for in Virginia.

You'd be surprised what malingerers and wanna-be's will do to their bodies!

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    You'd be surprised what malingerers and wanna-be's will do to their bodies!

(KLD)
    I think this is a BS excuse though. You can do much more horrific and dangerous stuff to your body legally. If somebody gets their jollies off by shoving a tube up their urethra, I say let them have at it... if people are really worried about what they might do slap a warning label on it.

Good question and one I've wondered about myself. In Taiwan no script was needed. Does the FDA fear we will poke an eye out? More likely it is another irrational rule for enriching doctors and supplier, though it may have begun with Medicare. It is a mystery.

I buy all my catheters and have never been asked for a script.

Quote Originally Posted by Iolas View Post
    They're not necessary. Only if you want insurance to cover it. You can buy all those supplies over the counter.
    My catheters are clearly marked, "USA: RX Only"...

It's no big deal to have a physician write a script, I just think it's a bit weird.
    T12 Complete since 1982. TiLite Tx

My catheters are clearly marked, "USA: RX Only"...
    It's no big deal to have a physician write a script, I just think it's a bit weird.
    Often this is a requirement placed on the manufacturer when obtaining their FDA approval. As a medical device, catheters for internal use are required to obtain FDA approval in the USA.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

You can buy those online without a prescription here:
    https://www.exmed.net/p-4236-hollist...0aakpeealw_wcb

But you need to check a box stating you're purchasing on the order of a physician.
    T3 complete since Sept 2015.