Thread: heated vest

heated vest

really thinking about 1 but a little scared who all have used 1 and what about burns. I was thinking of when I went out to ride my bike. like today the dam wind is blowing 10 to 15 mp and its 60 coming off the bay

I am stir crazy it been 40 to 50 all week wind blowing and cold

I just got one and I love it. It doesn't get hot enough to burn, but I had to be careful not to overheat myself.

Blog Entries
    How are they powered? Before my SCI I rode my motorcycles 365 days a year and always used one in the cold months but it plugged into the bike.
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

battery my son has 1 that his fatjer in law gave him they live ohio he loves it

I have a good bit of experience with heated jackets, I wear one every day. I wrote an earlier post about my 12v milwaukee jacket found here.
    http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...ghlight=heated

I now own a milwaukee m12 jacket, a Volt Resistance Victory 5v heated sweater, and a Gerbing/Gyde 7v heated fleece jacket. The Gyde jacket is my favorite. I run all my jackets off of my wheelchair battery. I have a 12v cigarette plug mounted on my chair that I plug my m12 jacket into. I bought a 12v to 7v plug https://www.ebay.com/itm/Kobalt-heat...72.m2749.l2649 to run my 7v Gyde jacket. I also bought their bluetooth thermogauge to control the jacket. The Gyde system is not quad friendly without the thermogauge because all the controls are on the battery. I plug a usb converter into the cigarette plug to run my 5v Volt jacket.

I get on ebay and look for cheap jackets. All mine have been new and less than half list price. I can usually get a better deal since I use my wheelchair battery and don't need the jacket battery or charger. I keep mine on all day in the winter, saves a lot on our house heating bill.

These jackets are run off a very small battery that don't last long on high, maybe 2 hours, and usually only have 3 small heating pads, 2 chest and one back. These jackets are not nearly as warm as a heated motorcycle jacket so don't expect too much. The only heated motorcycle jacket that I can run off my wheelchair would be the Venture lite heated liner which has a lower Amp draw and is made to be used with scooters that have a smaller charging system.

I can get more detailed on different jackets pluses and minuses if anyone has questions. I am always freezing cold and have done a lot of research on jackets over the last few years.

Blog Entries
    My only experience is with an Aerostich Kanetsu vest, 12v, cigarette lighter style adapter plug. That thing kept me warm all across the globe, literally. Lasted for 10s of thousands of hard riding miles and nightly camping across some very desolate and rugged terrain. I highly recommend it.
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

Quote Originally Posted by vjls View Post
    really thinking about 1 but a little scared who all have used 1 and what about burns. I was thinking of when I went out to ride my bike. like today the dam wind is blowing 10 to 15 mp and its 60 coming off the bay

I am stir crazy it been 40 to 50 all week wind blowing and cold

There a lot of them and now the price has really lowered make sure who you buy from like ebay or Amzon and you can return if you dont like or the fit is not right...

I have a vest because its light and can wear a hoodie over it and extra battery pack so can do 3-4 hours on one battery

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=heated+ve...91&ref=a9_sc_1

I tried the hooded sweatshirt from Gobi heat but wasn't impressed. I'm now looking at a couple of heated base layer shirts. I'm hopping that keeping the heat nearer to the skin and layering over top will help. I'm looking at a couple that heat only where I can feel to avoid burns. Here are the links. I'll update the thread if I end up trying one.

Action Heat
    https://www.amazon.com/ActionHeat-Battery-Heated-Layer-Shirt/dp/B06W2G89PL/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?crid=3I1U6OYKUR9BV&dchild=1&keywo rds=actionheat%2Bbase%2Blayer&qid=1574577652&spref ix=Action%2Bheat%2Bbase%2Blayer%2Caps%2C379&sr=8-1-fkmr0&th=1

Mobile Warming base shirt
    https://mobilewarming.com/collection...irt-plus-men-s

Last edited by jeft; 11-24-2019 at 07:11 PM.
    Jason

C5/6 Complete - water skiing accident 1994.