Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vitamin D

Vitamin D

What is the difference of D and D3? And what is the recommended daily dose?

Vitamin D3 is only found in animal sourced foods, and vit D is from plants.

and I take 5-6000 mg a day...see an endocrinologist for my osteoporosis...my bone density test last month showed my bones actually got better...went from .4 to .2 it started at 1.7....w/broken femur that took 2 years to heal....take our vit D!!!!

my doctor insisted I lower my D intake because high vitamin D is associated with kidney stones, which I deal with. My bone density is terrible. I'm glad you got good results, airart1.

Quote Originally Posted by airart1 View Post
    and I take 5-6000 mg a day...see an endocrinologist for my osteoporosis...my bone density test last month showed my bones actually got better...went from .4 to .2 it started at 1.7....w/broken femur that took 2 years to heal....take our vit D!!!!
    Will you please check your bottle and make sure that amount is correct? You wrote mg. My bottle says mcg. In fact here is exactly what it does say; quite a bit different: "50mcg (2000 IU)" . I wonder if you meant 5000 IU. Mine is also prescribed by my endocrinologist, but maybe someone on my end messed up.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

I was told to take 50,000 IU per week. I was taking a single prescription pill for a while but it cost me $15 for like 6 weeks so I bought a bottle of 5000 IU pills that I take daily (and double up on the weekend for a total of 45,000) and I get enough for nearly a year for about the same price as the 6 week supply.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Quote Originally Posted by Tetracyclone View Post
    my doctor insisted I lower my D intake because high vitamin D is associated with kidney stones, which I deal with. My bone density is terrible. I'm glad you got good results, airart1.
    How much did you take and how much are you taking now ?
    Canadian bacon is a fraud !!!!

For 5 years my yearly blood tests showed low D despite taking 5000 IU x 2 daily. Then my D was high so I went to 1 x daily. Next year it was still high so I asked why (as if I was doing something wrong). I was told D level norm had been reduced. So I went with 2000 IU 1 x daily. Next test, D level still above norm. On 1000 IU now, overdue for blood tests.
    Can't recall what they consider normal unless I pull up my test results. Was wondering if this reduction in normal D levels was national or just at my hospital?
    Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway
    Steve Mcqueen (Mr Cool)

Quote Originally Posted by McLaren87 View Post
    How much did you take and how much are you taking now ?
    Because I have a required eye support vitamin supp which includes 1000 units of D I was actually up over 3000 units. Now I'm down to 1000, which is the usual recommended dosage, I think.

yeah, IU...the VA puts you on 2000 now automatically, is what my primary told me..