Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Legbag and bed bag recommendations

@ hlh:

I use the leg bag sometimes longer than 6 weeks, usually it'll start leaking though. There's been times Hollister had some bad batches and start leaking after only a week or two. They get cleaned everyday with a 10% bleach solution. I switch to an overnight bag when I hit the rack.

When I wear shorts I don't connect any extension tube. If I'm home I just use a piece of stiffer tubing (it's actually 3/8" air hose) that slips easily on to the drain valve and empty it out on the lawn (I'm a country boy). If I'm out in public I empty into a plastic beverage container. For that operation I usually duck into my van.

Glad to help with your questions.

It is recommended to change the bag whenever you change catheters. It is also strongly recommended to use a closed system (as above) and not disconnect indwelling catheters from bags if at all possible. This is where leaving the leg bag in place and just hooking it up to a bedside bag at night comes into play for those using indwelling catheters long term. This not applicable for those using external condom catheters.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

My leg bag comes off every night and switched to an overnight bag. Been doing it like that for almost 20 years now. When making the connections alcohol soaked wipes are used.

Quote Originally Posted by Rustyjames View Post
    My leg bag comes off every night and switched to an overnight bag. Been doing it like that for almost 20 years now. When making the connections alcohol soaked wipes are used.
    And we now know that maintaining a closed system, and not doing as you do, reduces the risk for CAUTI (catheter associated urinary tract infection) significantly. Science moves forward!

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.