Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Legbag and bed bag recommendations

Legbag and bed bag recommendations

Can anyone recommend a leg bag that allows a nighttime bag to be connected to it, rather than disconnecting and connecting at the catheter? Bard makes such a system for overseas, but not the US market.

thanks

Easy to do with most USA leg bags that have a hard plastic drain port, like the Bard FlipFlo or Hollister bags.

When you set up the leg bag with your catheter, just cut off the excess tubing at the bottom of the tubing (get the leg bag sets that have extension tubing and straps); 3-4" works well, and then attach that to the drain port of the leg bag. When you want to attach the bedside bag, just attach it to that tubing, and open the leg bag port. Easy peazy!

(KLD)
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by SCI-Nurse; 11-15-2019 at 07:02 PM.
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

What does the overseas one look like, out of curiosity?

Edit:Never mind, question answered!

KLD's picture is great and is what my Dad does.

We also use the leg bag that KLD recommended in the past - Hollister (order number 9349 for the kit that contains the extension tubing and straps). It is a nicer one, so unfortunately my Dad's supplier doesn't want to give it to him because it is more expensive, so we've been paying out of pocket for it so far. One thing about it that we like is that it comes with a small cap for the drainage port. A small thing, but quite useful and cleaner. It surprises me most bags don't have this. It comes with a sterile piece of extension tubing that we cut into two pieces - one longer piece to attach the foley to the leg bag, and the small piece to save for connecting to the overnight bag - just like KLD's picture.

Not sure if others have this problem, but we've had leaking a couple times at the site you attach the short extension tubing to connect the leg bag to the overnight bag. The standard extension tubing diameter (that comes with the leg bag) is a little bit large to attach to the drainages port of all of the standard (cheaper) leg bags that my Dad's supply provider sends. So we use tape to carefully secure the ends of the connecting tube, and are very careful with positioning the bag/tubing overnight to make sure pressure doesn't build up near these junctures that can encourage leaks. However, if we splurge and buy the Hollister bag, the drainage port is larger diameter than the cheaper bags and fits more snug.

I keep meaning to search for and buy some additional extension tubing that is slightly smaller diameter to use for connecting to the overnight bag...

@ hlh: that drain port size on those Hollister bags is 3/8" outside diameter. Tube sizes are sold inside diameter of the tubing. I use 3/8" latex tubing that I buy on eBay and it fits snug on that drain port, no leakage. If you're latex sensitive there's other types of tubing available.

Quote Originally Posted by Rustyjames View Post
    @ hlh: that drain port size on those Hollister bags is 3/8" outside diameter. Tube sizes are sold inside diameter of the tubing. I use 3/8" latex tubing that I buy on eBay and it fits snug on that drain port, no leakage. If you're latex sensitive there's other types of tubing available.

Thanks! So you buy your tubing separately for the Hollister bags? That is probably cheaper. I'll look for that.

Do you use any of the other manufacturer's leg bags, that have the smaller drain ports? And buy smaller tubing for those?

Quote Originally Posted by hlh View Post
    Thanks! So you buy your tubing separately for the Hollister bags? That is probably cheaper. I'll look for that.

Do you use any of the other manufacturer's leg bags, that have the smaller drain ports? And buy smaller tubing for those?
    Yes, buy the tubing seperately off eBay, it's sold by the foot and inexpensive.
    I only use the Hollister 9805 and wear it on my thigh, connected right to the catheter. From the drain port I run the tubing down to my ankle area. It's easy for me to open/close the flip valve through my pants.

Yes, buy the tubing seperately off eBay, it's sold by the foot and inexpensive.
    I only use the Hollister 9805 and wear it on my thigh, connected right to the catheter. From the drain port I run the tubing down to my ankle area. It's easy for me to open/close the flip valve through my pants.
    Thanks for this. So, you must feel really confident with the connection of your tubing! My Dad would be wary to try what you are doing because of the chance of leaks. Obviously it isn't a problem for you.

Just curious... How often do you change your leg bag? How often do you change your foley? Why do you prefer having the bag on your thigh rather than your lower leg? Do you have a SPC?

My Dad is still trying to figure out the best combination for him. He still does CIC during the day, places a foley at night for rest, but is keeping the foley in during the day when he has outings because he doesn't like cathing outside the home anymore. His urologist has encouraged him to think about a SPC if he is getting tired of cathing.

Sorry for monopolizing the conversation JCampbell!

@ hlh:

As far as the connection on the leg bag drain valve, it's a pretty snug fit so it hasn't been a problem for me.

I do have a SPC and change it about every 6 weeks, unless it's not draining correctly. I wear the bag in my thigh because it's a lot easier for me to empty that way, and I wear shorts mostly when the weather is warm

@ hlh:

As far as the connection on the leg bag drain valve, it's a pretty snug fit so it hasn't been a problem for me.

I do have a SPC and change it about every 6 weeks, unless it's not draining correctly. I wear the bag in my thigh because it's a lot easier for me to empty that way, and I wear shorts mostly when the weather is warm

This is really helpful. Thanks.

Do you keep the same leg bag for 6 weeks too?

Do you only use the extension tubing if you are wearing long pants? Or do you somehow fold it up/tuck it away when you are wearing shorts?

Sorry for all the questions!