Thread: Flash Drive

Flash Drive

I am very computer illiterate. That being said, can Dragon be copied onto a flash drive. I am borrowing a laptop from a friend who does not use any Dragon software. Her laptop does not have a way to insert a disc. Thank you for your feedback.

Blog Entries
    I admit having no idea, but wonder if you have tried going to your Nuance account on the other computer. I suspect if you brought the program from somewhere online, you could download it again.

I would wager that you purchased a one-time/one computer download license of Dragon for your computer. This does not allow you to legally copy the program over to another computer, and the software most likely would have to be registered with the company to work on the other computer, so even if you could copy it, it most likely would not work.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Quote Originally Posted by tinern View Post
    I am very computer illiterate. That being said, can Dragon be copied onto a flash drive. I am borrowing a laptop from a friend who does not use any Dragon software. Her laptop does not have a way to insert a disc. Thank you for your feedback.
    You can use an external dvd drive to install software. That would probably be the easiest route for your situation. You can buy them fairly cheap on Amazon.

And yes you would need a legal copy, like sci nurse said.

You get multiple installations. There's no reason why it couldn't be installed on an external drive, including a flash drive. However, that installation (regardless of where it's located) is most likely dedicated to one computer - the one you used to do the installation. To use it on multiple computers, you may have to do multiple installations, which may not be what you're looking to do. The support team may have some shortcuts.

https://voiceautomated.com/blog/how-...-installed-on/
    Last edited by August West; 11-12-2019 at 03:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by August West View Post
    You get multiple installations. There's no reason why it couldn't be installed on an external drive, including a flash drive. However, that installation (regardless of where it's located) is most likely dedicated to one computer - the one you used to do the installation. To use it on multiple computers, you may have to do multiple installations, which may not be what you're looking to do. The support team may have some shortcuts.

https://voiceautomated.com/blog/how-...-installed-on/
    The sofware itself cannot run from a USB stick or external drive. It can however be installed onto another computer from a usb stick or external drive. The software needs an operating system, such as Windows 10 to run. So if he wants to install it on someone else's computer, he would have to purchase a separate license to do it legally.

Quote Originally Posted by Sugarcube View Post
    The sofware itself cannot run from a USB stick or external drive. It can however be installed onto another computer from a usb stick or external drive. The software needs an operating system, such as Windows 10 to run. So if he wants to install it on someone else's computer, he would have to purchase a separate license to do it legally.
    I don't think so. The operating system has no way of knowing the physical location of a drive nor does it care. It only knows and cares about the logical location of a drive. Having said that, there are some programs whose installations are required to be on the same logical drive as the windows operating system. MS Office is one of them. I don't think Dragon is one of them.

https://www.wikihow.com/Run-Software...SB-Flash-Drive

But I think all of this may be moot if the intent is to plug the flash drive into any computer and start using it. That won't work. The program may be taken along in a flash drive. But it would have to be installed on each computer on which it will be used.

But if it has to be installed on each computer, then it's easier to just install it on the internal drive and not have to carry the flash drive.

I don't think so. The operating system has no way of knowing the physical location of a drive nor does it care. It only knows and cares about the logical location of a drive.
    I'm not sure what you are saying here. I was not talking about the operating system. I was referring to the Dragon software requirements. Dragon does need to be installed on the same drive as the operating system, for the home user.

Having said that, there are some programs whose installations are required to be on the same logical drive as the windows operating system. MS Office is one of them. I don't think Dragon is one of them.
    This is pretty much exactly what I was trying to say, along with what you said in your next post. Dragon does require an operating system, such as Windows, to run on the same drive to work.

http://nuance.custhelp.com/app/answe...llyspeaking-10

But I think all of this may be moot if the intent is to plug the flash drive into any computer and start using it. That won't work. The program may be taken along in a flash drive. But it would have to be installed on each computer on which it will be used.
    But if it has to be installed on each computer, then it's easier to just install it on the internal drive and not have to carry the flash drive.
    Agreed.

Technically, Windows can be installed onto a flash drive, then Dragon could be installed secondly and it would work. It would require other software to install windows, like WinToUsb. It does not work with all versions of Windows however. It would also, most likely, require a license for Windows in order to install windows on the flash drive. It would not be worth it, because Dragon would run so slow that it would not be productive to use.

My understanding of the original poster's question was whether or not Dragon could run independently on a flash drive to be run on-the-fly on someone else's computer. It cannot. That is why I said no. Dragon would also require two separate licenses to run on two different people's computers. (one user, one license)

This is an interesting conversation, btw
    Last edited by Sugarcube; 11-12-2019 at 09:48 PM.