Thread: Zero answers for core injuries

Zero answers for core injuries

I keep looking for an answer for my problem, which is continuing to get worse. After having my left leg fell off a stretcher after getting an MRI and then once again when a DME vendor quickly flipped up my legs on an electric wheelchair, I have no stability in my core. This has created a constant struggle both in bed and sitting. Right now as I'm writing this via voice-recognition, I'm leaned over towards my left knee and have my left elbow pushing my gut in to try and get it to go where it needs to in the right side of my back.

I have tried swimming for the last two months to no avail. I also tried a minimally invasive technique of chiropractic care. The next plan of action is to try and find a person that does massage for sports injuries. I'm trying to stay optimistic, but am I just fooling myself? Is a blown out back on top of SCI impossible to fix?

Have you been evaluated by a physiatrist and/or an orthopedic surgeon for these issues?

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Have you been evaluated by a physiatrist and/or an orthopedic surgeon for these issues?

(KLD)
    Yes. My physiatrist referred me to an orthopedic surgeon and he was really against putting in rods and so am I. The other group of orthopedic surgeons here who usually receive referrals work exclusively with children.

I have tried Botox and guess I will go back to that again. Maybe it's time to try two binders at once.

So do you have a fixed scoliosis? Would bracing help?

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    So do you have a fixed scoliosis? Would bracing help?

(KLD)
    I'm not sure what you mean by fixed scoliosis. Is that a spine that is fused together?

One of the problems is that my right side back area is bending in. Without support on the left side, I can't get it to bend back out. Then there's a problem if it is bent out as the muscle tissue area moves left, which can give me pain in that area.

Every night when I go to bed, the muscles in my back will tighten and arch my back. It takes me four hours to get up on bowel days with the stretching I do. Then I get up and it takes all day for the muscles to relax just a little.

So basically I'm getting constantly pulled by a few muscles, but I'm not sure how or which ones.

Here is some information about scoliosis. In people with SCI it often occurs due to uneven spasticity of the trunk and poor postural support when trunk muscles are paralyzed.

(KLD)

https://www.webmd.com/back-pain/causes-scoliosis#1

Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by ouch View Post
    I'm not sure what you mean by fixed scoliosis. Is that a spine that is fused together?

One of the problems is that my right side back area is bending in. Without support on the left side, I can't get it to bend back out. Then there's a problem if it is bent out as the muscle tissue area moves left, which can give me pain in that area.

Every night when I go to bed, the muscles in my back will tighten and arch my back. It takes me four hours to get up on bowel days with the stretching I do. Then I get up and it takes all day for the muscles to relax just a little.

So basically I'm getting constantly pulled by a few muscles, but I'm not sure how or which ones.
    Our son has pretty bad scoliosis, but no issues with muscles pulling - it’s due to poor support, so different to your situation by the sound of it. But I was wondering whether a tens machine would be useful to you, as that should relax your muscles if the pads are placed in the correct area(s)? (We have a cheap machine - mostly used by me if I have some back pain...it works really well in relaxing muscles for me, but I’m AB).
    Gordon, father of son who became t6 paraplegic at the age of 4 in 2007 as a result of surgery to remove a spinal tumour.

Quote Originally Posted by Gordy1 View Post
    Our son has pretty bad scoliosis, but no issues with muscles pulling - it?s due to poor support, so different to your situation by the sound of it. But I was wondering whether a tens machine would be useful to you, as that should relax your muscles if the pads are placed in the correct area(s)? (We have a cheap machine - mostly used by me if I have some back pain...it works really well in relaxing muscles for me, but I?m AB).
    I hadn't thought of this idea. If I can find the right muscle, it might work.

If you want to try TENS - which might help - I would suggest getting a PT referral so that they can help you find the best placement of the pads. To try to do it yourself may only end up frustrating you -
    ckf