Thread: level of sensation rising

level of sensation rising

For these 32 years that I have been quadriplegic, I have always said that my level of sensation is my nipple line. But last night we were checking my sensation, and it seems to be a couple inches higher, near my armpit. Can the level of sensation over time rise? Or have I just been mistaken all these years about my initial sensation level?

This is not normal, and is actually a cardinal sign of an ascending syrinx (post-traumatic syringomyelia). You need to see your primary care physician and get referred to a good neurosurgeon who is familiar with syrinx diagnosis, monitoring, and surgical management.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.