Thread: Kunming hospital in search for a cure for paraplegia

Kunming hospital in search for a cure for paraplegia

I'm very interested in Kunming rehab, I've already start a thread about the surgery procedures they apply.
    Last edited by El Bandido; 11-09-2019 at 06:23 AM.
    T4 AIS A since 07/05/2017

"We lie the best when we lie to ourselves."

One of my concerns is the implication of participating in a surgical procedure like this. I would think that something like this is a once-and-done deal. I mean, how many operations can they perform on the cord in this manner. So, in my mind, one should think long and hard before under going this type of procedure since something better may come along that such surgery might prevent one from participating in. Of course the come back is, "I'm not waiting forever", and I totally understand. We've been waiting so long.

It has been discussed whether a second round of cells may be necessary. Neurosurgeons said it wouldn't be a big deal to repeat.

My concern about a "cure" is that if we recover sensation, then how much pain will we be in that is otherwise being masked by the SCI?
    Last edited by August West; 11-11-2019 at 09:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by August West View Post
    My concern about a "cure" is that if we recover sensation, then how much pain will we be in that is otherwise being masked by the SCI?
    Cannabis.

Please. After 36 years with a complete injury, there's a lot of stimuli being ignored by my brain - my body trying to warn my brain by saying with pain, "stop doing that because you're hurting yourself." But my brain doesn't receive the warning signals of pain because the spinal cord injury is interrupting the pathway. When you bypass the injury (or whatever they do for the cure), there's likely going to be an overwhelming amount of pain being sensed that was otherwise suppressed for decades. I hope cannabis is the answer. But I know from personal experience that it's limited on how much it can do for pain.

A great deal of pain.
    Quote Originally Posted by August West View Post

I seriously doubt my paralyzed body has lots of traditional neuro-muscular pain. I base that on the fact that it reacts to painful stimuli and I get other symptoms like increased spasticity or nerve pain when I have some sort of wound on that part of me.

I do not doubt that any sensory recovery will be accompanies by gobs of nerve pain, however. This because the signals that get to the brain will be inherently malformed based simply on the fact that the brain is getting new signals from new connections.
    T3 complete since Sept 2015.