Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Colostomy? Recovery time?

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Although the Peristeen rectal catheters are sold as single use, most users use them over and over until the balloon springs a leak...that could be as long as a month each.

(KLD)
    Okay, that makes sense. Who needs a sterile rectal catheter?

Quote Originally Posted by Tetracyclone View Post
    The internet is a wonderful thing, Stephen. "Peristeen is designed and manufactured by Coloplast. It has been in Europe since 2006. It was FDA approved in the United States in 2012."

Send cash

I didn't say I've been using it the longest, just the most. As Bill Maher says, "I can't prove it, I just know that it's true."

Quote Originally Posted by stephen212 View Post
    I didn't say I've been using it the longest, just the most. As Bill Maher says, "I can't prove it, I just know that it's true."
    Dayam. You have been studying Trump rhetoric!

Not to talk you out of/into anything, and recognizing that our injuries even when similar on paper all behave differently, I have been using the Peristeen with fantastic success for a lot of years. Predictable results everyday and my bowl time is under 30 minutes. I'm 36 years post injury and my bowl struggles and time invested are FAR easier and shorter than prior to using the Peristeen. I'd happily discuss this with you over the phone. You can email me at stephen@bike-on.com and we can arrange for a chat -- if you want.
    Hi Stephen,

Got a question for you about the Peristeen system. I'm a C5 / C6 which I believe is similar to your injury level. Do you use the system on your own, or do you get help from a caregiver? Assuming you figured out how to do it on your own, I'd love to hear about how easy or difficult that is. My injury is only a little over a year old, so I'm sure you've got a whole lot more usable function and control, but I'm curious if this system might be something I could use independently. I'm sure I'm not the only one who would say that the bowel program is the single hardest thing that I've come to deal with. I would love to find an effective, reliable, and independent way to nip this in the bud. Your glowing review gives me hope!

Thanks,
    Emmett

Quote Originally Posted by ejl10 View Post
    Hi Stephen,

Got a question for you about the Peristeen system. I'm a C5 / C6 which I believe is similar to your injury level. Do you use the system on your own, or do you get help from a caregiver? Assuming you figured out how to do it on your own, I'd love to hear about how easy or difficult that is. My injury is only a little over a year old, so I'm sure you've got a whole lot more usable function and control, but I'm curious if this system might be something I could use independently. I'm sure I'm not the only one who would say that the bowel program is the single hardest thing that I've come to deal with. I would love to find an effective, reliable, and independent way to nip this in the bud. Your glowing review gives me hope!

Thanks,
    Emmett
    Emmett,
    My injury level is lower than yours -- T4 complete -- I'm able to use the Peristeen independently. The Peristeen's "magic" is coupled with much digital stimulation and pressure applied to my abdomen to ensure that I expel all of the water that's been instilled. It might be a failure of imagination on my part, but I don't see how I could duplicate my current approach with the Peristeen with a caregiver. I get a lot of information from the digital stim (the tone of the rectal sphincter tells me when I'm done) component of this "enterprise," without which I'd be "flying blind."

Emmett,
    My injury level is lower than yours -- T4 complete -- I'm able to use the Peristeen independently. The Peristeen's "magic" is coupled with much digital stimulation and pressure applied to my abdomen to ensure that I expel all of the water that's been instilled. It might be a failure of imagination on my part, but I don't see how I could duplicate my current approach with the Peristeen with a caregiver. I get a lot of information from the digital stim (the tone of the rectal sphincter tells me when I'm done) component of this "enterprise," without which I'd be "flying blind."
    Ah, wishful thinking on my part that we were the same level I guess! Sounds like this might be a little bit of trouble for me. Too bad, it sounded like the golden ticket!

Quote Originally Posted by ejl10 View Post
    Ah, wishful thinking on my part that we were the same level I guess! Sounds like this might be a little bit of trouble for me. Too bad, it sounded like the golden ticket!
    Emmett,

I'm C4/C5 incomplete and have been using Peristeen for the past five years or so. I do need help inserting the catheter and instilling the water, but after that it's just me waiting for the inevitable. It's really no big deal. I've never done digital stim in my 43 years so you might not need that either. It might be worth giving it a try. It changed my life. It's not perfect, but it's so much better than what I was doing before. I purchase my supplies from a company in Canada since that whole training session is pretty silly IMHO. Catheters last about 1 month, while the bags last about 6 months.

-- David