Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Colostomy? Recovery time?

Quote Originally Posted by HockeyFan View Post
    The meeting with the ostomy nurse and surgeon is usually short (an appointment), so it shouldn't involve taking 1-2 days of work unless you need to include time to travel to the appointment. I think my appointment was a week or two ahead of the surgery. The dot they apply for the site will stay on your skin (I think they gave me some kind of sticker to apply over the dot so I could shower). If it helps, I had my surgery mid-week so the five days I spent in the hospital included a weekend. Much of it is a waiting game to make sure everything works. If your job doesn't involve heavy lifting, you should be able to get back to work relatively soon - although I'd recommend giving yourself time to get fully back up to speed. As you'll hear from many people on this site, once you figure out the supplies that work for you and get into your routine it should provide you with a much more manageable routine. I wish you all the best, it sounds like a very stressful situation.
    My job doesn't involve heavy lifting, but I do have to lift myself in and out of my car and the bathtub every day and toss a chair over top of myself to get in and out of the car four or six times a day. That's the most strenuous work I do though.

How many times did you guys have an accident while getting used to the new routine or waiting for the stoma to evolve?

It's looking like if I do go forward with it all those appointments and a few days in the hospital will pretty much leave me without any days off, so if I have a blow out at 10 am I'm gonna be stuck in whatever I'm wearing until 5 pm because I can't take the day off for medical reasons without jeopardizing my job.

Also, I've been looking into this more and colostomies are basically right by the waistline. How does your bag function if you're wearing something like jeans? It would seem to be that it would be quite difficult for stool to get past the waistline and point where the bag has to make a right angle because you're sitting with your thighs at a 90 degree angle to your upper body.

My stoma is just above my slightly low beltline.
    never has been a problem
    69yo male T12 complete since 1995
    NW NJ

Quote Originally Posted by funklab View Post
    Also, I've been looking into this more and colostomies are basically right by the waistline. How does your bag function if you're wearing something like jeans? It would seem to be that it would be quite difficult for stool to get past the waistline and point where the bag has to make a right angle because you're sitting with your thighs at a 90 degree angle to your upper body.
    This is why you need to see the ostomy nurse to get your stoma site marked with you sitting in your wheelchair...both naked and with your slacks on.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

I should add, you will develop an awareness of the thing. My bag is intersected by my blue jeans waist (no belt). I leave the top of the bag "bloused" so if the chocolate-factory makes a delivery, there's ample room for a moderate or partial shipment.
    My usual MO is to un-snap my fanny pack and sometimes unbutton the jeans. then I'll pull my shirt tail(s) out, (taking care not to drag and un-snap the bag-that's happened)
    If sitting at a table, I can do all this discreetly (and leave the shirt out but covered by the fanny pack if I'll need to attend to it again).
    Now, with the entire bag free, I can flick most of the latest delivery into the bottom. awaiting the backorders.
    Really easy, trust me!
    69yo male T12 complete since 1995
    NW NJ

I had a laproscopic descending done 12 years ago. I went in on Thursday, home Monday and back at work the following Monday. Could have gone sooner if I'd wanted.
    "It is every man's obligation to put back into the world at least the equivalent of what he takes out of it. Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by DeadEye View Post
    I had a laproscopic descending done 12 years ago. I went in on Thursday, home Monday and back at work the following Monday. Could have gone sooner if I'd wanted.
    That's a pretty quick turn around. I assume a couple days after going home I could be back at work, it doesn't take all that much more effort.

Do you recall how many (if any) accidents you had in the months immediately after surgery?

That's a pretty quick turn around. I assume a couple days after going home I could be back at work, it doesn't take all that much more effort.

Do you recall how many (if any) accidents you had in the months immediately after surgery?
    none if the wafer sticks good and bag on secure ur good only when and that did happen wafer failed . I also warm wafer up with a hair dryer just warm it stick better I think oh never never use wipe that have lotion on them pouch will not stick

I always use a ingles or Walmart plastic bag to change with protects my clothing and its great for disposal . only thing I had is mine is high so I am always or was soft nurse suggested probatics and I take 1 dayly

life is so much easier and cleaner with this and I am a quad

I was in a total of 4 days in including surgery. They actually had me up and wheeling around on day 2.. it was life as normal when i got home.

My bowels have been giving me shit (apologies for the pun) for the last several weeks. I?m really having trouble getting it under control and am more strongly considering a colostomy.
    Not to talk you out of/into anything, and recognizing that our injuries even when similar on paper all behave differently, I have been using the Peristeen with fantastic success for a lot of years. Predictable results everyday and my bowl time is under 30 minutes. I'm 36 years post injury and my bowl struggles and time invested are FAR easier and shorter than prior to using the Peristeen. I'd happily discuss this with you over the phone. You can email me at stephen@bike-on.com and we can arrange for a chat -- if you want.