Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Colostomy? Recovery time?

Quote Originally Posted by stephen212 View Post
    Not to talk you out of/into anything, and recognizing that our injuries even when similar on paper all behave differently, I have been using the Peristeen with fantastic success for a lot of years. Predictable results everyday and my bowl time is under 30 minutes. I'm 36 years post injury and my bowl struggles and time invested are FAR easier and shorter than prior to using the Peristeen. I'd happily discuss this with you over the phone. You can email me at stephen@bike-on.com and we can arrange for a chat -- if you want.
    I'm open to anything that works. Certainly don't have my heart set on severing my bowel in half. Already did that with my spinal cord and it didn't turn out so great.

How bulky is the Peristeen system?
    Could you do it while camping? (assuming you had a pit toilet to empty your bowels into?
    Would it take a lot of room in a suitcase if you were flying somewhere?

Quote Originally Posted by funklab View Post
    I'm open to anything that works. Certainly don't have my heart set on severing my bowel in half. Already did that with my spinal cord and it didn't turn out so great.

How bulky is the Peristeen system?
    Could you do it while camping? (assuming you had a pit toilet to empty your bowels into?
    Would it take a lot of room in a suitcase if you were flying somewhere?
    The Peristeen is essentially an enema. Its utility is that the rectal catheter has an inflatable cuff that allows you to retain the water as you fill the bowel rather than have it leak out. Other than that there's magic.
    The system is not at all bulky and comes in a canvas carrying case. You could take it camping (my idea of torture), if that's your thing.

I have to second Stephen's comments about the Peristeen system. I've been using the system for several years and it was a game changer. It's not perfect, but it's working great so far.

Does insurance cover peristeen? If not how expensive is it?

Quote Originally Posted by funklab View Post
    Does insurance cover peristeen? If not how expensive is it?

Some insurance covers it. Mine doesn't but I find them on eBay for not too much. The manufacturer, Coloplast, won't allow distributors to sell them directly. They insist that users receive training from a nurse, etc. I never received training and I would venture to guess have more experience with the product than anyone one the planet -- that is, based on the number of years I've been using it daily.

Quote Originally Posted by stephen212 View Post
    Some insurance covers it. Mine doesn't but I find them on eBay for not too much. The manufacturer, Coloplast, won't allow distributors to sell them directly. They insist that users receive training from a nurse, etc. I never received training and I would venture to guess have more experience with the product than anyone one the planet -- that is, based on the number of years I've been using it daily.
    This was a requirement of their FDA approval. It was not a choice of the company, and they don't require it in any other country where they distribute. It has been used in Europe for many, many years, so I would wager there are European users with even more experience than you!

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    This was a requirement of their FDA approval. It was not a choice of the company, and they don't require it in any other country where they distribute. It has been used in Europe for many, many years, so I would wager there are European users with even more experience than you!

(KLD)

I'll take that bet. I've been using the Peristeen since 2011 having first purchased it from a supplier in Australia, which is pre-FDA approval. And I use it everyday.

The internet is a wonderful thing, Stephen. "Peristeen is designed and manufactured by Coloplast. It has been in Europe since 2006. It was FDA approved in the United States in 2012."

Send cash

Best I can tell peristeen catheters are about $20 each... Wow... that's a lot of money to take a dump. What's that like 7 grand a year if you take a crap every day?

If insurance doesn't cover it I'd end up spending more money on getting the feces out of me than I spend on the food my body turns into said feces.

Although the Peristeen rectal catheters are sold as single use, most users use them over and over until the balloon springs a leak...that could be as long as a month each.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.