Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 18 of 18

Thread: Paralyzed Humboldt Broncos player moves legs after experimental surgery in Thailand

  1. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitchitsu View Post
    Im about to begin a transcutaneous stimulator study.
    Currently being randomized between just stim or stim with locomotor training. If people are interested in progress / feedback I will be more than happy to share.
    Where is this study being done? Can you give any more info?

  2. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by tomsonite View Post
    Where is this study being done? Can you give any more info?
    The one I am doing is at Stony Brook University on Long Island NY. I've been waiting almost a year for it to start.

    I began to do one at a VA in new jersey but it was just too far for me to commute so I had to drop out.

    I also spoke to some people in Spokane Washington as well as Pennsylvania doing very similar things in the beginning trials.

    These trials really are going on all over the country now.
    You have to really search them out online. If I can find the original site for the one I am doing I will post it.

  3. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitchitsu View Post
    Im about to begin a transcutaneous stimulator study.
    Currently being randomized between just stim or stim with locomotor training. If people are interested in progress / feedback I will be more than happy to share.
    Are you a grad student doing the study yourself? Would you provide more detail? I guess I'm wondering if this is a study/trial or a study looking at past trials using TS.

  4. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    2,596
    I've tried out the transcutaneous briefly and it had some impact on my standing stability, but I had no volitional leg movement.

    There are ongoing trials for the transcutaneous stimulator, including some upcoming ones, so I would dig into that and see if you can get into one. If the transcutaneous does wonders for you it might mean the implanted will do even more.

    One word of caution about implanted electrodes: the technology is progressing rather quickly and it's unlikely you will find surgeons willing to go into that tissue a third time (once for fusion, once for stimulator 1) should there be a big improvement in electrode design.

    As such, I would definitely recommend not spending $80k in Thailand to have already-outdated technology implanted.
    T3 complete since Sept 2015.

  5. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by GreaseLightning View Post
    Are you a grad student doing the study yourself? Would you provide more detail? I guess I'm wondering if this is a study/trial or a study looking at past trials using TS.
    Sorry for any confusion. No I'm not a student. I am a 44 year-old old man hurt about 3 years ago in a diving accident

    It is a stimulation study done by a local University. 3 times per week for a few months. 10 people will get just stimulation and 10 people get stimulation while walking on a treadmill.

    I'm trying to find the write-up of the study online on the clinical trials page but I am having a hard time finding it.

  6. #16
    Try searching by the trial number, if you have it or by the name of the university or doctor conducting the trial. Also, try clinicaltrials.gov using the same search criteria.

  7. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    2,596
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitchitsu View Post
    Sorry for any confusion. No I'm not a student. I am a 44 year-old old man hurt about 3 years ago in a diving accident

    It is a stimulation study done by a local University. 3 times per week for a few months. 10 people will get just stimulation and 10 people get stimulation while walking on a treadmill.

    I'm trying to find the write-up of the study online on the clinical trials page but I am having a hard time finding it.

    I'm aware of ongoing trials in the US (Mayo, UW at least), Australia and Ireland.
    Are you involved in one of these?
    T3 complete since Sept 2015.

  8. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Mize View Post
    I'm aware of ongoing trials in the US (Mayo, UW at least), Australia and Ireland.
    Are you involved in one of these?
    'The one I am doing is at Stony Brook University on Long Island NY. I've been waiting almost a year for it to start.'

Similar Threads

  1. Experimental Surgery For Paralyzed Kids
    By manouli in forum Cure
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-13-2009, 09:56 AM
  2. Paralyzed player undergoes surgery today
    By manouli in forum Cure
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-27-2008, 02:28 PM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-26-2006, 11:10 PM
  4. Replies: 14
    Last Post: 02-22-2005, 05:21 PM
  5. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-07-2005, 03:03 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •