Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18

Thread: Paralyzed Humboldt Broncos player moves legs after experimental surgery in Thailand

  1. #1

    Paralyzed Humboldt Broncos player moves legs after experimental surgery in Thailand

    https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...drie-1.5350117

    Check out the video. Anyone know some people that had this implanted? Their account of improvements?



    This one with Medtronic stimulator shows good results as well (where can I get one?! any electrical engineers here that can reprogram it?) https://youtu.be/9-PXt5Wm2ig?t=1067 Kelly Thomas is using this device. I'd love to try one.


    If anyone can get a medtronic device I'd buy and if anyone knows or has a know how to reprogram or alter it I'd pay you for that as well.

    Looking forward to y'all feedback.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    2,600
    There are many, many threads on the topic of spinal cord stimulators and their various successes.
    There are many failures as well that don't get the press.

    Short version:
    If you have a highly-incomplete injury, an implanted stimulator might help you stand and take steps with a walker.
    If you have a complete injury it will likely do nothing.
    T3 complete since Sept 2015.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Mize View Post
    There are many, many threads on the topic of spinal cord stimulators and their various successes.
    There are many failures as well that don't get the press.

    Short version:
    If you have a highly-incomplete injury, an implanted stimulator might help you stand and take steps with a walker.
    If you have a complete injury it will likely do nothing.

    I agree. I am incomplete and would LOVE to try one of these. If anyone has anymore info where to get these please let me know. Is medtronic device prescription only?

  4. #4
    If a person is "highly incomplete", I would assume they can stand and take steps without an implanted device.

  5. #5
    This is not a "do-it-yourself" procedures. The device is only available by prescription, and it requires an experienced and skilled surgeon to implant.

    (KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by wesmaister View Post
    https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...drie-1.5350117

    Check out the video. Anyone know some people that had this implanted? Their account of improvements?



    This one with Medtronic stimulator shows good results as well (where can I get one?! any electrical engineers here that can reprogram it?) https://youtu.be/9-PXt5Wm2ig?t=1067 Kelly Thomas is using this device. I'd love to try one.


    If anyone can get a medtronic device I'd buy and if anyone knows or has a know how to reprogram or alter it I'd pay you for that as well.

    Looking forward to y'all feedback.
    As mentioned, there are many threads on this subject. And results have been positive going all the way back to 2012 for epidural stim. Kate Wilette's book, "Don't call it a miracle. The movement to cure spinal cord injury", details the beginning of this treatment with the first patient. You can get a copy of the book for free on the Christopher and Dana Reeve foundation website. There is also a link to something called the "Big idea" which shows videos of others and provides more info on what's going on.

    Unfortunately, nothing is commercially available yet. There are still plenty of clinical trials here in the US. To have something done immediately, you have to leave the country, and the price tag is pretty hefty.

    One company is moving to bring a transcutaneous version of the stimulator to the market, but when that will be a reality is anybody's guess. My advice to you is to try to be part of a trial that may be happening in your area. And if you go with the TS (transcutaneous stimulator) versison there is no need for surgery at all.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    This is not a "do-it-yourself" procedures. The device is only available by prescription, and it requires an experienced and skilled surgeon to implant.

    (KLD)

    I was thinking of a trans cutaneous simulator just to get me over the "threshold" Dr. Edgerton was discussing in his talks.

    Isn't it a same principle?

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by GreaseLightning View Post
    As mentioned, there are many threads on this subject. And results have been positive going all the way back to 2012 for epidural stim. Kate Wilette's book, "Don't call it a miracle. The movement to cure spinal cord injury", details the beginning of this treatment with the first patient. You can get a copy of the book for free on the Christopher and Dana Reeve foundation website. There is also a link to something called the "Big idea" which shows videos of others and provides more info on what's going on.

    Unfortunately, nothing is commercially available yet. There are still plenty of clinical trials here in the US. To have something done immediately, you have to leave the country, and the price tag is pretty hefty.

    One company is moving to bring a transcutaneous version of the stimulator to the market, but when that will be a reality is anybody's guess. My advice to you is to try to be part of a trial that may be happening in your area. And if you go with the TS (transcutaneous stimulator) versison there is no need for surgery at all.
    Yes. I was thinking of a TS stim. Where do I get one?

  9. #9
    BTW, the Youtube video you posted is of both women, one with the epidural stimulator implanted and the other with the transcutaneous stimulator wrapped around her midsection. The videos on the Kessler Foundation's website are better. Also, although the women are incomplete, I believe they are both motor complete. But don't quote me on that.

  10. #10
    Im about to begin a transcutaneous stimulator study.
    Currently being randomized between just stim or stim with locomotor training. If people are interested in progress / feedback I will be more than happy to share.

Similar Threads

  1. Experimental Surgery For Paralyzed Kids
    By manouli in forum Cure
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-13-2009, 09:56 AM
  2. Paralyzed player undergoes surgery today
    By manouli in forum Cure
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-27-2008, 02:28 PM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-26-2006, 11:10 PM
  4. Replies: 14
    Last Post: 02-22-2005, 05:21 PM
  5. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-07-2005, 03:03 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •