Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Klebsiella oxytoca UTI

Klebsiella oxytoca UTI

I was prescribed Keflex for a Klebsiella oxytoca UTI, and I know that I shouldn't take any antibiotic if I am asymptomatic, however everything I read about this bacteria is pretty scary. So should I take it or wait till I get the fever or chills. I was recently hospitalized a little over a month ago with sepsis And I have read that this bacteria antibiotic-resistant, I'm just so scared to get sepsis again but I have been on antibiotics since September 21st. Anyone else with this type of UTI?

Was this prescribed on the basis of a urine C&S only, when you had not symptoms? If so, I would encourage you to contact the prescribing physician and discuss with them the option of not treating colonization. I would caution you though that Klebsiella can be associated with sequestering infection sources such as stones and prostatitis, so if you have not been screened for these in the last few months, I would recommend doing so.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Was this prescribed on the basis of a urine C&S only, when you had not symptoms? If so, I would encourage you to contact the prescribing physician and discuss with them the option of not treating colonization. I would caution you though that Klebsiella can be associated with sequestering infection sources such as stones and prostatitis, so if you have not been screened for these in the last few months, I would recommend doing so.

(KLD)
    Yes, The antibiotics was only prescribed from a urine sample. And I did ask if I could try treati this UTI without antibiotics and this was his response ...

For klebsiella, even if it is asymptomatic, it should be treated.

You should still be screened for stones, prostatitis, etc. Who is telling you to treat colonization? Urologist? GP? Infectious disease physician?

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Quote Originally Posted by pukkap View Post
    Yes, The antibiotics was only prescribed from a urine sample. And I did ask if I could try treati this UTI without antibiotics and this was his response ...

A urologist, however he doesn't have much experience with spinal cord injuries in my opinion. He was the doctor they came to visit when I was an inpatient.

(KLD)
    What kind of symptoms are you referring to?

Quote Originally Posted by pukkap View Post

I thought they treat it if it's greater than 100,000. I could be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by HACKNSACK44 View Post
    What kind of symptoms are you referring to?
    Symptoms : chills, flank pain, severe malaise.
    Signs: elevated WBC in the blood, fever, autonomic dysreflexia, urine leakage around catheters or unusual incontinence.

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by HACKNSACK44 View Post
    I thought they treat it if it's greater than 100,000. I could be wrong.
    For an AB person, yet. In the absence of any signs or symptoms as above, even a colony count such as this would be considered colonization in someone with SCI/D.

(KLD)

Symptoms : chills, flank pain, severe malaise.
    Signs: elevated WBC in the blood, fever, autonomic dysreflexia, urine leakage around catheters or unusual incontinence.

(KLD)
    I don't get any of those symptoms when I get a UTI. I do leak around my sp and continue to leak until the antibiotics takes care of it.