Thread: Flat Tire Problem

Flat Tire Problem

Just got new tubes put in my Tilite shadow wheels with Schwalbe marathon tires. This is my winter set of wheels. I reused the tires since they still had lots of tread left from last year. But end of last year one of the wheels wouldn?t hold air that?s why I took it to my local bike shop that has done work for me on my chairs before and had them replace the tubes. I just went to use this set of wheels on my chair and found the same wheel completely flat. Any ideas? Rim is in great shape no nicks from what I could see that would be popping the tube. I can?t figure out why this one wheel would not be holding air but the other one is just fine.

May be the rim lining has worn to the point where there is a sharp edge somewher on the inside of the rim. Or, there is a sharp something inside the tire itself. I'd take some fine steel wool and give the inside rim area a going over as well as inside the tire itself including the edge of the tire. Would add a new rim lining as well if yours looks worn. Did you check to ensure the valve is tight and no air leaking out?

Put the wheel in a tank/tub of soapy water, the bubbles will show you where the leak is.
    I just went through this when I was on vacation-didn't have my tools, so took it to a bike shop, and paid the guy.
    Told him it was a slow leak, likely a thorn, or metal chip. (He said it wasn't his first rodeo-I'm not sure I believe him)
    He didn't find anything. When I got home, I had to fix it again, myself-took about 5 minutes to remove the tire, and locate the metal chip.
    My guess, is you have similar-when you put a new tube in , it takes a couple days, for the thorn/sliver to cut it's way through the new tube.
    Another possibility, is a valve core that's leaking, or not in tight.
    Good luck