Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: remote start

remote start

how many of you have added this to you car van etc. I am being told its expensive and a big undertaking

tks

I did. Nice in the winter months.

I have three vans and they all have it. Call around some shops that do it, it's really not a bid deal to install them.

I got it already installed in my last two cars.

Got it love it like $350 with alarm system.
    Remote start is a nifty feature that lets you start your car?s engine from afar, cooling the interior on a scorching-hot summer day or warming it up on a brutally cold winter morning.

But even if your car didn?t come with this feature, don?t sweat it?in most cases it?s never too late to install a remote starter.

?Your safest bet is to get a system from your car?s manufacturer,

Cars built after the mid-2000s can probably be fitted with a dealer-installed remote-start system from the automaker. If a remote starter was available for your car?s model, trim, and transmission when the car was new, you should be able to have one added to your car, Your dealer can figure out whether your car is able to use remote start.

Cars built before 2005 will probably need an aftermarket starter. ?If you go the aftermarket route, have it professionally installed at a national chain such as Best Buy or at a reputable local shop to help ensure this tricky job is done right, adding, you?ll also get some level of warranty against failures.?

?Stay away from cheap remote-starter systems you can find online, and definitely don?t try to install one yourself?you?re just asking for headaches
    "Yesterday's History,Tomorrow's a Mystery"

thank you I did not that it was that expensive as my old van I put it in tks for feed back

Check the Best Buy ads during the holidays. I got a real low installed price. It has been working for over 10 years w/only issue being replacing batteries in FOB. Mine was tied into the existing alarm system for the van. The only big headaches I have are the starter lockout and the alarm quirk. You have to tell everyone who uses the van that the alarm MUST be unlocked with the FOB or the car won't start. Also, sometimes I have had the alarm go off and can't figure out how to turn it off. I finally figured out that I can't get it off unless all the doors are closed, but, usually it happens when my side door is open with my lift being deployed. I kept forgetting that I had to close that door, so I would be all frustrated with the alarm. After several incidents, I have finally got it remembered.
    C-6/7 incomplete

Most do a crappy job at doing this. I had to take my dash out of my 1995 van because it keep messing things up. Had to take it off and repair the wires they spliced into with just electrical tape. If factory can't install it forget it. On my 1995 van I just start it by hand from driver door and let it warm up for 10 to 15 minutes till its warmed up.
    Art

Sorry, Art, not every installations are hack jobs. I have a 93 van, with the original (non factory installed) remote and it still works fine. I'm sure there's many millions of installations that aren't hack jobs like you've experienced.

I know but 2 out of 3 I had to take out. Dealerships take these things first if you have any electrical problems.
    Art