Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why do i get so many UTI infections?

Why do i get so many UTI infections?

Is it common to get UTI's all the time? I get them quite frequently. Is there a way to prevent this?
    C-5, 6 SCI. Took about 6 months to walk. Walking full time. Without any assistance since Nov. 2003 and will make a full recovery

What is "all the time" for you? More than 2 true UTIs a year should be investigated.
    What do you consider a UTI? It is NOT a positive culture without UTI symptoms (fever, chills, flank pain, malaise, AD, urine leakage, etc.). That is colonization and should not generally be treated.
    What is your bladder management method?

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Im also getting infections all the time 5 years post injury. Im catheterising around 5 times a day and still having leakage time to time and other symptoms.

One month ago I was sent half dead to the hospital because of a sepsis which meant the infection had passed to blood, followed by a bunch of other life risking symptomps. When i was sent home by that hospital they didnt suggest anything to prevent because of many many antibiotics i had taken in my recovery there but i was reinfected 2 weeks later with fever and pain.

Now what my doctor suggests is I drink a lot of water (nothing new but i cant because of my urine volume) ,
    that i take a Movicul daily (which helps soften my bowels so I have clean intensines)
    that i take a Cystoman 100mg daily (which has Dmannose cranberry and other integrated supplements to prevent infections)

Still after doing all these im on a thin line to go back to antibiotics. Is there anything else someone would add to this ?

PS: Some months before i started taking nitrofurantine on my own it was some type of desifectant for the bladder which made me safe about infections I took one each night and was fine risk free but the doctors suggested me to not take it anymore because it would make my infections more resistent.
    Im also on the list to go on a botox injection surgery soon for the first time...probably that will make my problem easier

Martiniani77, have you had urodynamics?
    Are you taking any anticholenergic medications such as Ditropan?
    What are your urine amounts when you cath?
    Are your UTIs all with the same bacteria? Is it e.coli? Cranberry has been shown to be pretty ineffective in prevention of infection except with e.coli, and even then the results are not great.
    How much water/liquids do you drink daily now?

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

SCI-Nurse Ive had urodynamics a while ago and they prescribed me with 5mgx3 daily which after sepsis was reduced to 2.5mg(half a pill)x3 because doctors thought it was causing constipation.
    When I cath I usually void 200-300 max after that it is just luck holding the urine inside without leakage.
    My UTI usually are e.coli or klebsiella pneunomea. Mostly e.coli.
    My water intake isnt as adviced i might drink 1.5litres during the day max and also have 2 coffees every day one morning one afternoon.

What do you suggest to fight coli better ? The nitrofurantoin med manual said that it was pretty effective with both infections even though i dont take it anymore i just want to put it in here that when i took it before i was fine.

I would agree with your physician about not using nitrofurantoin routinely. Not only can it help develop resistant strains, but it can cause serious side effects such as bone marrow suppression over the long term.

It sounds like you need to get back on the higher dose of your anticholenergic (is it Ditropan)? Yes, it can contribute to constipation, but you can counteract that by drinking more (at least 2.5 liters daily) and increasing the fiber in your diet (30 gm. daily) as well as adding a stool softener to your routine meds (DSS, 1000mg. daily in divided doses).

When you had urodynamics, what was your PDetMax? You should be retested on your anticholergics to be sure that you are on a high enough dose. Ditropan can be taken up to 30mg. daily.

I am confused about you statement that you void 200-300 ml. Are you doing reflex voiding and then cathing, or is that the amount you are cathing for (which is not voiding). Your bladder should hold 400 ml. or so before leakage, so it sounds like again your dosage of Ditropan needs to be increased, not decreased.

Have you had a recent screening for urinary stones? Klebsiella can be associated with stone formation. You should be having an annual ultrasound of your kidneys, ureters, and bladder for this.

Although constipation can contribute to risks for UTI, it sounds like you need better bladder management.

(KLD)

Im currently using oxybutinin cloridrato 5mg. Today i switched to 5mg x3 as advised.
    Sorry for using the wrong term. I dont know how much i void but every time i cath it is 300 ml max.
    Today i also had leakage which means there is an infection coming around right ?

Also started drinking plenty of water.
    What do you recomend to remove this infection ? Does this cystoman100mg with (dmanose , vitamin c and cranberry) work?

Quote Originally Posted by Martiniani77 View Post
    What do you recomend to remove this infection ? Does this cystoman100mg with (dmanose , vitamin c and cranberry) work?
    You need to have a urinalysis (UA) and culture & sensitivity (C&S) done to identify the bacteria and most effective antibiotic(s) to treat it for a course of 12-14 days. After that course is completed, wait 2-3 days, and collect another specimen for UA and C&S to determine if there is any latent bacteria in the urine. If there is, you need to take another 12-14 day course of either the same antibiotic or another one, determined to be effective by the second set of lab tests.

Quote Originally Posted by HACKNSACK44 View Post
    You need to have a urinalysis (UA) and culture & sensitivity (C&S) done to identify the bacteria and most effective antibiotic(s) to treat it for a course of 12-14 days. After that course is completed, wait 2-3 days, and collect another specimen for UA and C&S to determine if there is any latent bacteria in the urine. If there is, you need to take another 12-14 day course of either the same antibiotic or another one, determined to be effective by the second set of lab tests.
    I would agree with this to a degree. If the antibiotic does not work, then investigation of possible sources of sequestration of infection (such as stones, prostatitis, renal abscesses, or urinary diverticuli) should be done.

The D-mannose , vitamin C and cranberry is a preventive (of questionable effectiveness) but not appropriate for treatment of a true UTI.

(KLD)

Use to get chronic UTIs requiring IV antibiotics and hospitalization from the autonomic dysreflexia. Was getting hospitalized twice a month and getting gentamicin shots in my ass instead of IV so still could go to work.

Was sent out of town for three weeks and the hotel they put me in was underneath an overpass, no restaurant or bar and after returning home, resigned.

Was used to very good accommodations where they didn't need to screw down the remote control. It was a very stressful job.

After resigning did not get another UTI for over a year, so for me stress was my biggest cause of UTIs as well as complicating other issues.

Stress is a killer.