Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why do i get so many UTI infections?

Quote Originally Posted by Cris View Post
    Use to get chronic UTIs requiring IV antibiotics and hospitalization from the autonomic dysreflexia. Was getting hospitalized twice a month and getting gentamicin shots in my ass instead of IV so still could go to work.

Was sent out of town for three weeks and the hotel they put me in was underneath an overpass, no restaurant or bar and after returning home, resigned.

Was used to very good accommodations where they didn't need to screw down the remote control. It was a very stressful job.

After resigning did not get another UTI for over a year, so for me stress was my biggest cause of UTIs as well as complicating other issues.

Stress is a killer.
    I can totally see how stress and infections are correlated!

Currently im struggling with another infection (pain , fever , leakage) and i started taking nitrofurantorin on my own without consulting and doing a culture analyse.
    Im sure it will take my infection away in one week...thing is how do i prevent it later ?
    Im surprised science still hasnt come up with some way to disinfect the bladder properly

Quote Originally Posted by Martiniani77 View Post
    Currently im struggling with another infection (pain , fever , leakage) and i started taking nitrofurantorin on my own without consulting and doing a culture analyse.
    Im sure it will take my infection away in one week...thing is how do i prevent it later ?
    Im surprised science still hasnt come up with some way to disinfect the bladder properly
    Self treatment like this is most unwise. It is very likely to cause a resistant strain of bacteria, and treatment for a week is insufficient in those with SCI/D. Why do you have drug left over? Taking antibiotics or urinary antiseptics for less than their prescribed length of time is a set up for resistance.

We do know how to treat UTIs in people with SCI/D, but colonization with bacteria comes with the territory for people with neurogenic bladder, especially for those who use indwelling catheters.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Sounds like you're treating UTIs that don't need treating.

Oxybutinin doesn't help me until the maximum dose (10 mg twice a day) and it causes drowsiness like crazy.
    Botox helps a lot, but my most recent run was way too short (3 months) so I'm bumping to 300 units for the next round.
    T3 complete since Sept 2015.

I had no other choice i have a very active life and this leakage is unsupportable couldnt wait until they prescribed me another antibiotic.
    It is the first day taking nitrofurantoine and I already feel better.

My doctor in italy suggested that if I felt any symptoms of infection I couldve treat it myself with Monuril 2 nights in a row or nitrofurantoine 3 daily x5 days.

Probably did the wrong thing this time but hopefuly after i do the botox injections it would be easier with the bladder spasms.

Quote Originally Posted by Martiniani77 View Post
    I had no other choice i have a very active life and this leakage is unsupportable couldnt wait until they prescribed me another antibiotic.
    It is the first day taking nitrofurantoine and I already feel better.

My doctor in italy suggested that if I felt any symptoms of infection I couldve treat it myself with Monuril 2 nights in a row or nitrofurantoine 3 daily x5 days.

Probably did the wrong thing this time but hopefuly after i do the botox injections it would be easier with the bladder spasms.
    Do you take an anticholenergic such as oxybutinin?

The routine for self-treatment with nitrofuantoine as above would be appropriate for an AB person who has an occasional simple UTI. It is NOT appropriate for someone with a SCI/D, where true UTIs only should be treated, and then as a complex UTI, with an antibiotic selected through urine C&S, and taken for 10-14 days.

You will need to go on a course of antibiotics, appropriately selected by urine C&S, PRIOR to having your Botox injections.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

UTI/bladder infections can be a major downer for quality-of-life after a spinal cord injury.

In the last six months to a year I?ve had so many problems with my bladder. It?s still an ongoing process but today my urologist is sending me for bloodwork to look for a sign of infection after a sample of urine was tested and came back with infections level of bacteria. when the urine culture came back I didn?t have terrible symptoms but I did have some voiding.
    Today I am getting a ultrasound done of my kidneys and bladder to rule out stones and any other issues. My urologist also is referring me to an infectious disease doctor to see what they can do to help me with the bladder problems. Anyone have any experience being referred to an infectious disease doctor for voiding/infection/bladder pain?

For those out there having major problems hopefully you find some solution and relief with the right doctors/urologist but often it seems like a battle that?s impossible to win.
    C4/5 incomplete, 17 years since injury

"The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same.” - Carlos Castaneda

"We live not alone but chained to a creature of a different kingdom: our body." - Marcel Proust