Thread: Tow Board for Powerchair

Thumbs up Tow Board for Powerchair

When I have long distances in my Power Chair I have been looking for a device like this to bring someone with me at a fast pace.

Standing trailer

It’s often difficult to keep up with someone on a mobility scooter. Our 5.5-lb standup trailer can be hitched up in seconds. The trailer can carry a maximum load of 220 lbs (passenger or luggage).
    The included hitch is designed to fit the TravelScoot, but can be fitted to other mobility aids. Due to the large variety of available scooters and wheelchairs, the customer is responsible for adaptation and installation of the hitch.
    https://www.travelscoot.com/accessor...lity-scooters/

Travel Scoot board / Tow Board

"Some people say that, the longer you go the better it gets the more you get used to it, I'm actually finding the opposite is true."

-Christopher Reeve on his Paralysis

First, I have never done this or seen it ever done.
    But, my 2....
    Be sure check about braking/stopping. Drag on powerchair's batteries and/or motors?
    Safety of rider?
    "Good Luck!"

There are other versions out there. I just can't find any for sale.

"Some people say that, the longer you go the better it gets the more you get used to it, I'm actually finding the opposite is true."

The only ones I found on-line for a power chair (not a scooter) were in China. I suspect that you won't find a USA manufacturer of these due to liability and the issues of strain on your power chair (which could void warranties). I would think you could find a good mechanic to make you one fairly easily.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Oh come on they're tabs let them walk

There's this site but they don't answer.
    http://www.thecareeon.com/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post
    There's this site but they don't answer.
    http://www.thecareeon.com/index.html

My guess is they are no longer in business. Website has not been updated since 2015, and their FB page is all but blank.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post
    There are other versions out there. I just can't find any for sale.

3rd photo, best design. May be a 1 off fabrication. Air tires and pivot hitch mount (pic suggests possible swivel too).

Those hard mounted to chair seem dangerous. Tail whip could send standing passenger flying. Caster wheels, small = wear out and rough ride.
    Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway
    Steve Mcqueen (Mr Cool)

Electric Wheelchair Portable Towing Dolly Folding Lightweight Stand

https://www.elecycles.com/electric-w...ing-dolly.html

Hey Norm 2 of those are mine the red one on the Pride chair and the black on on my Frontier x5

We saw the couple from Careeon years ago at LA Abilities Expo and it was a really crappy set up made out of plywood and skate board wheels so we went back to Phoenix and built a better mousetrap.

We travel a lot and may times we cover 10-15 miles a day.

Careeon was just a husband and wife team and they went out of busineses and stoped answering inquires.

Search in your area on Craigslist for a CNC Plasma person and they can make you one.

Things to think about is with all the weight on the back steering will be a lot less responsive and under steer.

Adding another 150LB will drain your batteries a lot.