Thread: Buying used Twion wheels - what do I need to know?

Buying used Twion wheels - what do I need to know?

Hi all,

I'm new to the whole manual wheelchair game. My therapists have advised me that I should get power assist wheels, and those fellow quads I've talked to have leaned me toward the Twions. So I'm considering buying a used set, as this is all out of pocket.

Question is, what do I need to be thinking about as I go down this route? I know that I definitely need make sure the charger is included, but I've also heard rumblings there might be a special Alber camber tube that comes with them when new and I might need. Is this true? If so, is there any way I can get this camber tube, and how easy is it to install? Also, I managed to track down a sideload APK of the Android Twion M24 app (since it seems to be disavowed in the US official app store). Should the app work out of the box with pre-owned wheels, or does it require some sort of registration with Alber that I'm not going to be able to get because I didn't buy the wheels directly from them?

Anything else I should know or be thinking about? Feels like this is a bit of a gamble in part because I'm still such a newbie, but it would be great if I could get these wheels up and running on the cheap!

Thanks,
    Emmett

I hope this isn't too late but I bought my twion wheels used. There are many things I wish I had known before hand and every time I thought I knew all there was to know, that was proven to not be true. If you are buying used, you need to acquire the brackets to mount the wheels onto your chair. For most rigid chairs this seems to be a new camber tube (For tilite TR and ZR chairs it certainly is). I ordered mine from living spinal by calling them. It was super easy to order and I want to say it took around 2 weeks for the camber tube to arrive. We then had to fit it to my chair. It wasn't an issue for us as I have access to a metal shop but it took us about four hours to cut and install the tube. The instructions were almost non existent and everything was in metric so that was fun. If we have to do it agian, it'd probably take around two hors since we know where everything goes.
    If you want to use the app, you need a wheel code. I was able to get one from an invacare rep at abilites expo mainly because they thought it was really cool that I did everything myself. If something goes wrong you definitely want to find a local qualified repair place that does alber products. When TSA broke mine in March, I lucked out and my regular place had a guy who knows everything about these wheels. The wheels actually took less time to fix than my chair.
    Those are the main things I can think of, let me know if you have any questions!

Quote Originally Posted by rockbybay View Post
    I hope this isn't too late but I bought my twion wheels used. There are many things I wish I had known before hand and every time I thought I knew all there was to know, that was proven to not be true. If you are buying used, you need to acquire the brackets to mount the wheels onto your chair. For most rigid chairs this seems to be a new camber tube (For tilite TR and ZR chairs it certainly is). I ordered mine from living spinal by calling them. It was super easy to order and I want to say it took around 2 weeks for the camber tube to arrive. We then had to fit it to my chair. It wasn't an issue for us as I have access to a metal shop but it took us about four hours to cut and install the tube. The instructions were almost non existent and everything was in metric so that was fun. If we have to do it agian, it'd probably take around two hors since we know where everything goes.
    If you want to use the app, you need a wheel code. I was able to get one from an invacare rep at abilites expo mainly because they thought it was really cool that I did everything myself. If something goes wrong you definitely want to find a local qualified repair place that does alber products. When TSA broke mine in March, I lucked out and my regular place had a guy who knows everything about these wheels. The wheels actually took less time to fix than my chair.
    Those are the main things I can think of, let me know if you have any questions!
    Oh wow, this is terrific. Thank you so much for the insight! I've been holding off on these until I feel like I really understand what's needed, but as I get closer to feeling comfortable I'll definitely be in touch.

Don't do it.

In fact, rethink Twion entirely. I have a set. Have had to have them repaired but the config software was pulled by the FDA so I wound up with one wheel on Eco and one on Normal (different sensitivities) and no way to change them.

Needless to say they collect dust now.

SmartDrive seems the better choice IMHO.
    T3 complete since Sept 2015.

If you use a van for transportation, the SPinergy ZX-1 is isdeal. Power where you want to go , disconnect and you're in a manual chair. If you consider the ZX, get one with Lithium batteries.