Thread: Permobil Active Reach aka Anterior Tilt - Like it or Hate it?

Permobil Active Reach aka Anterior Tilt - Like it or Hate it?

In the process of ordering a new Permobil F3 and trying to decide whether to get it with the free 10 degree anterior tilt it comes with, or to keep it off.

I was disappointed to hear from Permobil that it affects the seat to floor height, which is crucial for me. Apparently with a 17.5" seat to floor chair, if you use anterior tilt, then "un-tilt" it, it "pauses" at "level" (not exact), and ends up at 18.5 at the front and about 19 at the rear. You then have to push the down seat elevator button to get back to 17.75 (that's not even 17.5!), and it seems to struggle a bit. So then you have to go up some first and then back down again.

This would drive me crazy!

I'm thinking of ditching anterior tilt so I'll have a better chance of quickly getting to seat to floor at 17.5". Then I won't have to monkey with going up and down a bunch of times just to get down all the way.

I got 20 degrees. It does help a little in some situations. Not as useful as I thought it would be so I don't use it much.
    Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway
    Steve Mcqueen (Mr Cool)

Quote Originally Posted by beatscookin View Post
    In the process of ordering a new Permobil F3 and trying to decide whether to get it with the free 10 degree anterior tilt it comes with, or to keep it off.

I was disappointed to hear from Permobil that it affects the seat to floor height, which is crucial for me. Apparently with a 17.5" seat to floor chair, if you use anterior tilt, then "un-tilt" it, it "pauses" at "level" (not exact), and ends up at 18.5 at the front and about 19 at the rear. You then have to push the down seat elevator button to get back to 17.75 (that's not even 17.5!), and it seems to struggle a bit. So then you have to go up some first and then back down again.

This would drive me crazy!

I'm thinking of ditching anterior tilt so I'll have a better chance of quickly getting to seat to floor at 17.5". Then I won't have to monkey with going up and down a bunch of times just to get down all the way.

10% comes free and I love it and used it all the time.
    When out and about be amazed how many times one will need that extra inch...

Like everything else one get use to the working the switch box to meet ones needs!

Love it! Haven't really experienced the problems you're talking about. It does have to adjust height sometimes based on legrest positioning, but I've programmed M1, M2, and M3 to go to various defined positions so resetting to a desired positioning is just a push of a single button. I have an M3 so things may be different, but you should also have access to the M1-M3 programming on your F3.
    Last edited by Davey; Yesterday at 04:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gearhead View Post
    I got 20 degrees. It does help a little in some situations. Not as useful as I thought it would be so I don't use it much.
    The F3 is my new chair. I've tested it in most all situations. In my clean shop, forward tilt & elevate helped me reach parts on shelves. If I'm in shop for long, I'll get into one of my projects which will put a wrench, welder, or grinder in my hands, getting new chair dirty. I have 2 shop chairs that can get dirty. F3 is too fresh for my projects.

Don't have a way to take it shopping but (like parts on shelves) I can see it helpful with that task.

Button pressing for mine is this: from slight a recline, forward tilt until seat levels out - continue holding button (can barely hear foot rest actuator slowly working into sync).
    When seat & (a few seconds later) footrest stop, release tilt button, press seat forward tilt again and hold.
    I assume this is for safety, can't go from recline to forward tilt without 1 additional command.
    Steve Mcqueen (Mr Cool)

Quote Originally Posted by RollinPositive View Post
    10% comes free and I love it and used it all the time.
    When out and about be amazed how many times one will need that extra inch...

Like everything else one get use to the working the switch box to meet ones needs!
    Doesn't it make you feel like you're sliding down out of your chair? I have MD too. I don't use any seat belts though, do you?

Quote Originally Posted by Gearhead View Post
    Button pressing for mine is this: from slight a recline, forward tilt until seat levels out - continue holding button (can barely hear foot rest actuator slowly working into sync).
    When seat & (a few seconds later) footrest stop, release tilt button, press seat forward tilt again and hold.
    I assume this is for safety, can't go from recline to forward tilt without 1 additional command.
    Yes, but assuming you're elevated at the time, after you do all the above and elevate down, does it go all the way down, or just almost? Then I'm under the impression you'd need to go up again just a little, then down again to get all the way down.

I think I know what your talking about. From full forward, back to level, then I can hit down button and it lowered a slight amount even though I didn't elevate.
    I noticed it when I was getting acquainted with the chair, playing with buttons.

Forward tilt and leg rests work in sync so I think it kicks elevate up slightly for proper position of leg rests in relation to the ground (my assumption).
    Might do it for other reasons unknown to me, for now.

It's not something concerning because it's such a small amount. !/2 - 1 inch at the most.
    So, after returning from a forward tilt, hit down elevate button for the 1/2 inch lower.
    Steve Mcqueen (Mr Cool)