Thread: colostomy and AD?

colostomy and AD?

I'm considering a colostomy, because my Monday-Wednesday-Friday bowel program (Magic Bullet) is no longer sufficient. I'm requiring stool (sometimes a lot, sometimes hardly any) be removed almost every day, with the only clue usually being raised blood pressure (no sweating.) NitroBid I'm assuming that following colostomy surgery, I'd have AD until it heals. What would I do to deal with the resultant raised blood pressure? I couldn't constantly wear Nitrobid.

If there's a way to get my bowels back on schedule, I'd be fine with that.

Thank you.
    Alan

Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.

I would recommend a daily bowel program. If Magic Bullet not working, have you tried Enemeez? You can try samples- contact www.Enemeez.com. Also what is the consistency of your stool? If lumpy, hard or dry- try increasing stool softeners with high fiber and lots of water. Of course the colostomy is an option. I know others an tell you about their personal experience. CWO
    Last edited by SCI-Nurse; 11-04-2019 at 12:16 AM.
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

I'll check the Enemeez site. I already take 1000 mg. of stool softener daily. I can add more fiber. I drink 2.5 liters or more of water daily. I always have below normal sodium when my blood is tested (upper 120s or lower 130s), so I'm not supposed to drink more (it's actually been suggested by my doctors that I drink less.)

I'm currently being checked twice daily, including the night of my bowel program. If anything is found, it's brought out.

My blood pressure is checked regularly. If it is elevated, I am checked for AD causes, of course, which usually are bowel or bladder. My BP does tend to go up every night between 10 p.m. and 12 a.m. Most times we find a reason, but sometimes no reason is found. Doctor doesn't know why.

Thank you for your reply.

Update - I requested the samples. I presume dig checking is still needed after the Enemeez does its thing?
    Last edited by alan; 11-23-2019 at 05:03 PM.
    Alan

Quote Originally Posted by alan View Post
    Update - I requested the samples. I presume dig checking is still needed after the Enemeez does its thing?
    Yes, Enemeez would just replace a suppository, to bring stool down into the rectal vault. Generally digital stimulation would still be needed to relax your spastic anal sphincter and allow the stool to pass.

Also, AD related to bowels is usually due to stimulation of the terminal colon and rectum, where there are a lot of pain nerve fibers. That would not be the case with a colostomy stoma. And you would not need to do digital stim to evacuate your colostomy (nor, with rare exceptions) use a suppository or Enemeez.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

So the colostomy stoma isn't a pain-causing area that causes AD?
    Alan

No, not for most, Alan.

(KLD)

Good to know. Thank you.
    Alan

So the colostomy stoma isn't a pain-causing area that causes AD?
    No AD issues with my stoma.

That's good. Is there any AD when stool passes through the stoma, as there os when it passes through the sphincter?
    Alan

That's good. Is there any AD when stool passes through the stoma, as there os when it passes through the sphincter?
    Not for me.