Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone living in HI, specifically the big island

Anyone living in HI, specifically the big island

I am moving to to the big island in a month or two (or three!). I see there's not a HI forum, so I reckon that means nobody is living there. If you are, hit me up please. Thanks

I found a baclofen pump doc there, that's the main thing I was wondering about. But any info would be great!
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

Where on Hawaii? Hilo side? Kona side? North Shore? South Shore?

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Kona side, Waikoloa Village for the time being, thanks KLD.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Where on Hawaii? Hilo side? Kona side? North Shore? South Shore?

(KLD)

Thanks!

Congrats rdf, living the good life. Good check finding a pump Doc, hope your journey goes well.
    "a T10, who'd Rather be ridin'; than rollin'"

Are you renting or buying? Kona can get pretty hot in the summer, and it is often windy. You'll pay a lot more if you want a view, and traffic in/out of Kailua can be bumper to bumper at times (not just rush hour). It is beautiful there though. Keep us informed about what you find out!

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Renting, and I plan on moving closer to the beach after I get settled in. My little brother moved over there a year or so ago. He owes me a lot of money, haha, so he's paying my rent til I die, which is what I asked of him as paying me back. He's making bank over there. Thanks for the well wishes too

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Are you renting or buying? Kona can get pretty hot in the summer, and it is often windy. You'll pay a lot more if you want a view, and traffic in/out of Kailua can be bumper to bumper at times (not just rush hour). It is beautiful there though. Keep us informed about what you find out!

(KLD)

Thanks!

Hi McD, how has life been treating you, thanks for the well wishes old friend. Hope all is well with you too.

Quote Originally Posted by McDuff View Post
    Congrats rdf, living the good life. Good check finding a pump Doc, hope your journey goes well.

Thanks!

Compared to California, you do not need to make Bookoo to rent a home or an apartment in Waikoloa Village, HI. What is the downside to living on the Big Island?
    The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit the bottom
    --General George Patton

Complex problems need to be solved collectively.
    ––Paul Nussbaum
    usc87.blogspot.com

Hey Paul, yeah rent is about the same here in Missoula, MT, as it is in Waikoloa! Cost of living is higher, especially power. But it works out for me $wise compared to California, north or south. It's a big island, with only 150K or so population, that's an upside for me.

Quote Originally Posted by PN View Post
    Compared to California, you do not need to make Bookoo to rent a home or an apartment in Waikoloa Village, HI. What is the downside to living on the Big Island?

Thanks!

From my friends who live or have lived in Hawaii, a few down-sides:

• Apart from Oahu, there are pretty limited medical facilities or practitioners familiar with SCI.
    • Gas is very expensive; even more than California.
    • Groceries are often more expensive due to the added costs for shipping.
    • Some felt socially isolated from friends, family, and professional activities on the mainland. Expensive to fly between islands, and between Hawaii and the mainland.

(KLD)