Thread: How do you remove backflow vacuum pressure from the disposable leg bag?

How do you remove backflow vacuum pressure from the disposable leg bag?

What is the highest quality disposable drainage bag?

Over five years ago, I was Recommended the Urosafe disposable bags. They have the anti-reflux Device and for a while worked well.

Unfortunately, I?ve been dealing with UTI after UTI and often it is because the leg bag creates some sort of vacuum pressure. In order to reduce this, I use a clean emptied hairdresser bottle to increase the percentage of air and this sometimes helps to reduce the back flow

Recently, I just can?t seem to get it to drain right. Simple fluid dynamics Is stopping the flow that exactly where the extension tubing meets the bag that?s leading to pain, urine in the bladder and kidneys. The urinal drains right into the bag if I unplug The extension tubing from the super pubic catheter.

It is similar to when you hold your finger over a straw that contains liquid in it ? the liquid will not drain from the straw because of the back pressure. I know I?m not not alone with this issue; however I have yet to find a solution asking multiple people who have dealt with multiple circumstances. Any and all ideas are welcomed.

Hollister makes a vented leg bag. Have you tried these?

https://www.hollister.com/en/product...mbination-Pack

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

IMO a one way valve is absolutely neccessary and not having one leaves you vulnerable to reflux into your kidneys which is very dangerous!
    Most bags have a "duck-bill" valve. This is like a 1-1.5" section of flat thin tubing (like you ironed a tubing flat so both sides of the now flat tube touched one another) with one end over the entry tubing in the leg bag. This provides a check valve that has very low opening pressure while still reliably closing when no flow/pressure is present.
    With out it, any pressure expressed onto the bag would enter the bladder, kind of like instilling an antibiotic solution, but in this case toxic dirty urine in large volume and high pressure-not good!
    I have used Procure re-usable bags for 24 years. Early on, I had one where the inlet valve stuck. Since then I have made it a habit to test it by blowing into it using the length of tub that will go on the drain end. I never found a second sticking one, but it is a way to confirm there won't be a problem.
    Also, I would expect that anything (like a belt or underwear elastic) pulled across the top of the bag might clamp the duck-bill-valve.

And regarding the above vented bag, it has a check valve as it should.
    69yo male T12 complete since 1995
    NW NJ

I have not tried these.
    I'm going to purchase some right now And overnight them.
    In the meantime, is anyone Jerry rig something for the time being. i.e. drilling a small hole into the extension tubing.

Most leg bags.. all the ones I know of.. ha e a o e way Valve to prevent back flow. There is no vacuum pressure. It is just gravity flow. Sometimes there is defective valves/leg bags. CWO
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.