Thread: Suprapubic catheter leakage "cure"?

Suprapubic catheter leakage "cure"?

I have been dealing with leakage around my catheter for about 5 years now and I think that I have found a drug combination that works. I have tried nearly every medicine to stop the leakage (and when I say leakage, I mean pouring out at times) but nothing seemed to work or at least work well.

Anyhow, after my urology appointment on October 9th, I started taking Vesicare and Myrbetriq instead of Ditropan and Myrbetriq. So now I take 10mg of Vesicare in the morning and 50mg of Myrbetriq at night and so far I have only three mild leaks in the 3 weeks that I've been taking them.

I'm not ready to celebrate yet, but I am optimistic and I thought that I would share with others in the same leaky boat.

Mybetriq can be used with an anticholinergic like Vesicare. Start with 25 mg and if need more then I crease to 50 mg. Watch for elevated blood pressure. CWO
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Mybetriq can be used with an anticholinergic like Vesicare. Start with 25 mg and if need more then I crease to 50 mg. Watch for elevated blood pressure. CWO
    I actually have lower than normal blood pressure but I will keep an eye out for it. Thanks...

I am glad I saw this post this morning. I will definitely give Vesicare a try since I also have been having terrible problems with bladder spasms and bladder voiding/emptying causing an obvious mess and damaging my skin. I have also been using ditropan for years along with 50 MG of MYRB ETRIQ

sounds like we are going through a lot of the same things and even have similar injuries. My injury was also C4 C5 and I have been using hey suprapubic catheter for years. For the longest time I didn?t have terrible bladder spasms and didn?t have this leaking/emptying but now I do and have to deal with it.

as I said in my other post this morning, a recent urine sample came back with high levels of bacteria that could be at the levels of an infection though at the time I didn?t feel that bad. I?ve also been doing gentamicin installation but I?m questioning its effectiveness. The latest solution for my urologist is to refer me to a infectious disease doctor to see if they can help in anyway and evaluate me.
    C4/5 incomplete, 17 years since injury

"The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same.” - Carlos Castaneda

"We live not alone but chained to a creature of a different kingdom: our body." - Marcel Proust

Quote Originally Posted by KyleP2112 View Post
    I am glad I saw this post this morning. I will definitely give Vesicare a try since I also have been having terrible problems with bladder spasms and bladder voiding/emptying causing an obvious mess and damaging my skin. I have also been using ditropan for years along with 50 MG of MYRB ETRIQ

sounds like we are going through a lot of the same things and even have similar injuries. My injury was also C4 C5 and I have been using hey suprapubic catheter for years. For the longest time I didn?t have terrible bladder spasms and didn?t have this leaking/emptying but now I do and have to deal with it.

as I said in my other post this morning, a recent urine sample came back with high levels of bacteria that could be at the levels of an infection though at the time I didn?t feel that bad. I?ve also been doing gentamicin installation but I?m questioning its effectiveness. The latest solution for my urologist is to refer me to a infectious disease doctor to see if they can help in anyway and evaluate me.
    I have had a few days of leakage since posting this but it has mostly been on days when I have had bowel pressure pushing on the bladder. Unless anything changes I will continue using Vesicare and Myrbetriq... its nice to be able to drink more after years of purposely dehydrating myself.

I am actually on till toltoridine and myrbetriq....not ditropan
    C4/5 incomplete, 17 years since injury

"The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same.” - Carlos Castaneda

"We live not alone but chained to a creature of a different kingdom: our body." - Marcel Proust