Thread: ''Hospital Bed Frame''--Recommendations,,,,??

''Hospital Bed Frame''--Recommendations,,,,??

Hello,,,,,

I am need of a new ''Full Electric Hospital bed--for my home.'' My current full electric Hill-Rom is 11yrs old and is about to die [not worth repairing anymore]. It was a Homecare bed which Hill-Rom no longer makes.

My insurance is Medicare--NJ Medicaid/Horizon.

Please, anyone with suggestions on the type of requested,,,,??

Thank you,
    J

Our recent experience is that insurance will "rent" whatever your Dr. /PT specifies, and only the manual version. You can pay a monthly uplift out of pocket for the electric version . After 13 months of payment, the hardware is no longer billed and the Dme company and Ins Co "give" it to you. The rules seem to be designed for people who don't have permanent disability. So get everything ready and Make them deliver and bill on Jan 1. That way you'll the max amount of rent payments in a single Ins. Year. Also plan as much medical stuff in the same year if you can, like MRI And any surgical stuff you can time shift a bit. One out of pocket max in one year. Only consumables like mattress and pressure pad is purchased outright and only if precisely discribed in the prescription /orders. y

My last new total electric hospital bed was gotten in 2008 though Medicare. Had have justification for bed's powered up/down. Don't know or remember if Medicare paid for that function cause do remember DME had do extra paperwork for function for transfers after it was delivered. I never was charged extra for it.

Freej!!!!!

Medicare generally covers only semi-electric (high/low power, crank for head-of-bed controls). The need to have powered head-of-bed (HOB) controls may be justified by someone being at risk for autonomic dysreflexia (AD) and needing to independently be able to raise the HOB.

Most often Medicare only pays for something like the Invacare homecare bed; they will rent for 1 year, and then if need is still justified, they will purchase.

A very nice homecare hospital bed frame is this one made by Joerns. It can be more expensive though. One nice thing is that it comes with an optional battery pack so you bed frame's power features will work in a power outage. It goes lower to the floor to facilitate level transfers to your wheelchair (unlike the Invacare) and has a solid or slat pan, not spring. Springs can damage and make low air loss mattresses function poorly, and allow mattresses to sag in the middle.

https://www.joerns.com/product/2466/...%c2%ae-XT.aspx

(good to see you back here, FREEJ! You have been missed)

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

If you don't need the rails or height adjustment, Lucid makes a adjustable bed that runs only $325. I've had one for a few years. Works great. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...e?ie=UTF8&th=1

I just bought an Invacare CS7 bed which lowers almost to the floor and has top height of 30". It has all the head and foot adjustments an SCI might want. I bought it because one of our (2) 10 year old Transfermaster beds sounds very sick. We already replaced the head adjustment motor once and the new one sounds really sick. The Invacare CS7 motors are so quiet they can barely be heard. A good place to research beds is Spinlife, once I researched there I contacted my local DME. He convinced me Medicare would be an enormous headache so I purchased out of pocket.