Thread: Transcutaneous Stimulation

Transcutaneous Stimulation

I'm trying to find out whether anyone, anywhere is aware of any new developments with transcutaneous stimulation. I want to know because I, probably like so many others, am getting up in age (I'm 69) and the surgical option may not make sense for someone my age.

A little bit more about me: I've been injured over 40 years, breaking my neck in a bicycle accident in 1979. I broke C5,6, but the neurological deficit is at C7,8. The doctors told me (and it remains true) I am extremely incomplete. I can pee, dee, walk with a walker (in a limited fashion) etc. But most of my time is spent in the chair.

I give this background info because time is running out for me (and others like me) and I feel the eTMC is the best hope for me in my lifetime. Maybe something better will come along, but I feel some things are still so experimental that it's going to years for them to bear fruit. And like so many others, I'm tired of waiting so long.

So please, if you know of things going on (even outside the US) with transcutaneous stimulation, let me know. And I'm talking about something beyond continuous - never ending - trials, some actual effort to move this to application. I hope their is something going on somewhere.

The closest to market is probably NRT which just merged with GTX. Development had slowed down due to lack of funds over the last two years, but it is now funded to build the device for the pivotal trials and bring to market.

https://www.businesswire.com/news/ho...s-Merge-Create

have you searched www.clinicaltrials.gov or www.scitrials.org? At your level, I actually imagine that you qualify for lots of clinical trials
    "That's not smog! It's SMUG!! " - randy marsh, southpark

"what???? , you don't 'all' wear a poop sac?.... DAMNIT BONNIE, YOU LIED TO ME ABOUT THE POOP SAC!!!! "

2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature

Real trans-cranial system that will improve your walking and you can buy it is PARASTEP from Sigmamedics.com.
    No implanting electrodes, just ask someone to stick them on 4 points on skin // muscles per each buttock & leg and keep training.
    These computer controlled stims contracting muscles in the fashion of stepping or standing and you control it
    with pressing button on the walker that is part of this package.
    These exercise will help you to improve your walking after certain numbers of repetitions.
    Now you have to get doctor's prescription and about US 13,000 to get this device.
    Research on youtube people using Parastep. It's 20+ years old and useful device for incomplete SCI.
    I have tried Parastep and would definitely like to get it as here in Canada no clinic can provide this therapy.
    However, in my case is little more complicated as I need weight support system to be able to use it.
    I am seriously working toward buying Parastep and weight support system and going to organize fundraising for this!
    www.MiracleofWalk.com

Miracles are not contrary to nature, but only contrary
    to what we know about nature
    Saint Augustine

Quote Originally Posted by niallel View Post
    The closest to market is probably NRT which just merged with GTX. Development had slowed down due to lack of funds over the last two years, but it is now funded to build the device for the pivotal trials and bring to market.

https://www.businesswire.com/news/ho...s-Merge-Create
    Thanks for the info. I'll try following the company, but since it's private, it may be difficult. Maybe better still, I'll try reaching out to the company directly. The fact that they're trying to bring something to market says they've already overcome FDA hurdles.

I hope this happens soon because this transcutaneous stuff has been around for a while, and the Kessler foundation has already shown that it can be used to produce walking in incompletes.

Quote Originally Posted by lunasicc42 View Post
    have you searched www.clinicaltrials.gov or www.scitrials.org? At your level, I actually imagine that you qualify for lots of clinical trials
    Yeah, I've been searching both sites, and I've submitted my info to some of the trials, and I will continue to do so. But I wonder if my age is a factor in the selection process. I mean I am at the upper limit of the scale, and if they have younger candidates, I'm sure they're going to opt to use them. But, as I stated, I'll continue to submit my info.

Quote Originally Posted by comad View Post
    Real trans-cranial system that will improve your walking and you can buy it is PARASTEP from Sigmamedics.com.
    No implanting electrodes, just ask someone to stick them on 4 points on skin // muscles per each buttock & leg and keep training.
    These computer controlled stims contracting muscles in the fashion of stepping or standing and you control it
    with pressing button on the walker that is part of this package.
    These exercise will help you to improve your walking after certain numbers of repetitions.
    Now you have to get doctor's prescription and about US 13,000 to get this device.
    Research on youtube people using Parastep. It's 20+ years old and useful device for incomplete SCI.
    I have tried Parastep and would definitely like to get it as here in Canada no clinic can provide this therapy.
    However, in my case is little more complicated as I need weight support system to be able to use it.
    I am seriously working toward buying Parastep and weight support system and going to organize fundraising for this!
    This seems to be FES, not transcutaneous, and don't think I want drop 13K on something that works only on the periphery. With eTMC there appears to be something going with the axons in the CNS, causing function to be sustained even when the stimulator is not turned on, at least, in the cases I've read about and in the videos that I've seen. I suppose an emf produced by the device that crosses the skin into the spinal cord is helping in ways that scientists don't seem to quite understand yet, but people are walking (albeit aided) and regaining hand function. That's what I'm looking for - because that juice may just provide the necessary pop for me (and others like me) to do functional, independent walking. If that device were on the market today, I'd work to buy in a heart-beat.

After seeing the guy from Lusanne taking independent (unaided) steps even with the stimulator turned off over 2 years ago, I'm baffled by how long things take - and I got to believe that we can be doing more as a community to push things.

Quote Originally Posted by GreaseLightning View Post
    I got to believe that we can be doing more as a community to push things.
    Unfortunately the reason for the delay with NRT was mainly money.