Thread: Which is more secure ? ? local file storage or storage in the cloud?

Blog Entries

Which is more secure ? ? local file storage or storage in the cloud?

= My computer guy and Forbes contributors (but two years ago: https://www.forbes.com/sites/quora/2.../#6d0b4a627403)

= Are the data breaches we hear about perpetually on the news demonstrative of unavoidable insecurity or just security done badly?

= Isn?t there hacker software that can generate just about any password?

= The article says AWS is most secure, but is that available to individuals? I?ve only ever heard of it as a big commercial provider.

= How secure do you think Carbonite is? One drive? I drive? Which do you trust the most?

= What is the best way for me to be able to access my files remotely with my iPad?

And then this popped up:
    https://www.cloudwards.net/most-secure-cloud-storage/
    Last edited by Random; 10-29-2019 at 10:13 AM.

I wouldn't trust that review site just based on the name. Too often they're arm-length owned by one of the products they "review" as great.
    T3 complete since Sept 2015.

I use Carbonite; before that, Mozy, which they bought out. Pretty confident in their security.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

If you're talking about files on your PC, you can set up a VPN (virtual private network) that will provide a secure connection between your device and your computer using the internet. You can also purchase this service. Search the web for this, and then pick one of the companies that you like.

Most of the big name cloud providers give you a certain amount of storage for "free". Of course, you're usually giving them control of your data, i.e., freedom to use that data as they see fit. Remember, there is no GDPR here in the US - only in the EU. Our government has been very slow to protect our right to privacy. Just do a Google search on yourself and see what comes back. You may be surprised. My son just did this the other day and was shocked at how much info was out there.

The article is a bit old, but the basic messages hold true. Use decent passwords; don't use the same password twice; protect your machine with decent antivirus software. These are the basics. I'd also add to beware of social engineering tactics - phishing scams and the like. IMO Google Drive or Microsoft OneDrive are decent options because you keep a copy in the cloud and on your laptop/devices, making it easy to quickly pick up work or photo or any file on any device. It all depends what you're using it for and what features you need.

I have never seen a reason to back up my files in the cloud, where my spouse stores all his stuff. I use an external storage device and I back up everything there, most especially my financial records.

Quote Originally Posted by Random View Post
    = My computer guy and Forbes contributors (but two years ago: https://www.forbes.com/sites/quora/2.../#6d0b4a627403)
    Cloud storage is definitely secure with the big companies, like Google, Microsoft, and Amazon, which the article explicitly names. I'd add Apple to that list as well. As long as you have a good password and practice good security (not leaving your credentials around on post-its, not visiting unsecured sites, etc.), your data is very secure. If your data does get compromised, it very likely won't be due to any fault of theirs. That said, be aware that your data is likely not secure from the company that holds it and that they may even allow government surveillance.

= Are the data breaches we hear about perpetually on the news demonstrative of unavoidable insecurity or just security done badly?
    Both, but mostly security done badly. Companies simply do not prioritize nor dedicate enough resources to security.

= Isn?t there hacker software that can generate just about any password?
    Yep, probably but it's time-consuming. Besides, most passwords follow a certain algorithm while social engineering is even faster. What HockeyFan said.

= The article says AWS is most secure, but is that available to individuals? I?ve only ever heard of it as a big commercial provider.
    Yea, AWS isn't for personal use as far as I know. There's Amazon Drive for personal use--free 5GB storage if you have Prime--but it's only for photos and vids.

= How secure do you think Carbonite is? One drive? I drive? Which do you trust the most?
    They all likely have relatively good to strong security. I think it comes down to the details like user-friendliness, cost, what kinda data and its size, does it work well with iOS, etc.

= What is the best way for me to be able to access my files remotely with my iPad?
    For cloud, maybe iCloud since it's already there? For PC, VPN is an option like GreaseLightning says. There are also remote desktop apps like TeamViewer that might work. And finally, you can also try iOs-compatible wireless drives or a network-attached storage for local storage. For example: https://appleinsider.com/articles/18...and-ipad-users