Thread: Wheel mount size?

Wheel mount size?

So I have this idea, it's probably wildly unrealistic (just because in addition to being lazy and nearly tool-less I also have a bunch of other more important stuff to do), but I thouht maybe you fine folks could help me figure out how to do something.

Basically my thought is to build a mount for a spare pair of wheels. Something that can go up on the wall, almost like a work of art (though probably existing in a closet).

It would basically be two pipes of an appropriate diameter to accept the quick release axle and also lock in place so that it wouldn't come off. One would need to be offset to the side and forward a little more to minimize the footprint.

So basically something to keep the wheels in more or less this position.

But then also mountable to the wall so I can get it up and out of the way in my small apartment.

Whaddaya think?

Anybody know of a cheap option to use as a substitute axle? I was hoping there's some kind of standard dimensions for a quick release axle that can be easily replicated with cheap parts if it doesn't need to have any strength or spin freely.

Anyone ever seen something like this? I'd much rather buy it than build it or pay someone to build it, but I kind of doubt it exists.

A 1/2 inch bolt or rod as long as you need. Or you could buy a wall mount bike rack:https://www.amazon.com/Bike-Wall-Mou...88184411&psc=1

Or go to Lowes and find a large hook that screws in the wall.

So 1/2 inch is the diameter?

how do I get it to lock in place? Do I just end the pipe at the length of the axle so the detent balls (idk the word for this) sticks out the end and locks in place.

Do you plan to use the axles shown?
    If not, then just a couple pieces of steel rod,attached to some kind of plate, to mount to the wall, would be fine.
    If the rod fits close, you doubt you will need anything to keep the wheels on the mount.
    How will you attach it to the wall?

Quote Originally Posted by rlnguy View Post
    Do you plan to use the axles shown?
    If not, then just a couple pieces of steel rod,attached to some kind of plate, to mount to the wall, would be fine.
    If the rod fits close, you doubt you will need anything to keep the wheels on the mount.
    How will you attach it to the wall?
    Yes I want to keep the wheels and axles as they are with no mods. They are my backup wheels, but I want to be able to slap them on my chair right away if I ever need to.

Haven't figured out how I will mount them to the wall exactly. It will depend on the overall weight. I'd kind of like to use some of the 3M removable adhesive mounts, but that might not be realistic and I might have to drill some holes into some studs to mount it... especially if the mount weighs a significant amount which it very well might if I build it out of steel.

Blog Entries
    I've used wall mount bike hanger wheel hooks in the past. Works very well and designed to hang bikes from wheels, and fit a set of wheelchair wheels just fine. Works for one set well, but...

Now that I have like 6 extra wheel sets I hang them like pants in my bedroom closet, using double ended hooks, from the clothes hanger bar.
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

Quote Originally Posted by Oddity View Post
    I've used wall mount bike hanger wheel hooks in the past. Works very well and designed to hang bikes from wheels, and fit a set of wheelchair wheels just fine. Works for one set well, but...

Now that I have like 6 extra wheel sets I hang them like pants in my bedroom closet, using double ended hooks, from the clothes hanger bar.
    What kind of bike hanger did you use?

When I google that online most of them look like they hang only the front wheel, so I assume you would need two for a pair of wheels.

Zip tie the two wheels together and you need only one hook.

The hanger Baldfatdad found looks like it would work perfectly. https://www.amazon.com/Bike-Wall-Mou...88184411&psc=1
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.