Thread: c.difficile and Anxiety

c.difficile and Anxiety

A little over a year ago I came down with c.difficile that recurred a number of times. Ever since I?ve had abdominal pain that won?t go away and is sometimes quite severe. I?ve been diagnosed recently with diversion colitis, which may be adding to the abdominal pain. Now I find myself struggling with anxiety, fearing the return of c.dif as the abdominal pain/cramps give me a bowel urge sensation. I pretty much only force myself to leave the house to go to the doctor or ER.

Can anyone relate to this and perhaps offer some coping advice?

Quote Originally Posted by beckman View Post
    A little over a year ago I came down with c.difficile that recurred a number of times. Ever since I?ve had abdominal pain that won?t go away and is sometimes quite severe. I?ve been diagnosed recently with diversion colitis, which may be adding to the abdominal pain. Now I find myself struggling with anxiety, fearing the return of c.dif as the abdominal pain/cramps give me a bowel urge sensation. I pretty much only force myself to leave the house to go to the doctor or ER.

Can anyone relate to this and perhaps offer some coping advice?
    The way I look at things is "what's the worst that can happen?".

Sounds like in your situation the worst that could happen is you might shit yourself. We've all done it. It sucks, but it's not a huge deal. In my mind I feel like bowel or bladder accidents are catastrophic, but when they happen it's never as bad as it's built up to in my head... and what else are you going to do? It doesn't sound like staying at home 100% of the time is working out for you.

You could start by going on short trips from home. Places you can get back from quickly if something happens. Build up from there.

I recently shat myself while on vacation in Germany miles and miles from my AirBnB. It sucked. But really it wasn't that bad in the end and what am I going to do, stay at home? I went back to the airBnB, got cleaned up. Made doubly sure my bowels were clear that night and went back out to see the sights the next day.

Like forrest gump said, shit happens.

If alternatively it's not an accident that worries you, but rather literally pain or return of C diff like you said, there's no reason to think that not leaving your house will prevent either of those problems, so you might as well get out and see the world.

Also, my biggest fear is crapping myself on a long international flight... and I hope to travel so much that this will one day that inevitably happen. But I suspect it too won't be as bad as I imagine in my head, so I'm sure not going to let that fear prevent me from getting on an airplane.

Quote Originally Posted by funklab View Post
    The way I look at things is "what's the worst that can happen?".

If alternatively it's not an accident that worries you, but rather literally pain or return of C diff like you said, there's no reason to think that not leaving your house will prevent either of those problems, so you might as well get out and see the world.
    Thanks for the response. You are right I need to push myself and get back out there. The longer it goes on the harder to push past the pain and fear - need courage I guess

The cause of the pain seems hard to diagnose. Perhaps I now have IBS. And i do have diversion colitis, diagnosed in a recent colonoscopy. That surprised me as I thought the pain and cramps were higher up not in th sigmoid and rectal area. I've been prescribed Butyrate enemas for the diversion colitis. They are hard to retain and I find very uncomfortable.

It feels like my pain may be from a couple of sources now. I have a follow up with a gastroenterologist in a month, hopefully he has some answers. Abdominal pain seems hard to diagnose especially for us with SCI.

Has anyone used Butyrate enemas and experienced abdominal pain with them?

You definitely need to see a gastroenterologist. This sounds complex! CWO
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.