Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: A Breakthrough in spinal cord injury treatment (interview with doctor Wise Young)

A Breakthrough in spinal cord injury treatment (interview with doctor Wise Young)

"That's not smog! It's SMUG!! " - randy marsh, southpark

"what???? , you don't 'all' wear a poop sac?.... DAMNIT BONNIE, YOU LIED TO ME ABOUT THE POOP SAC!!!! "

2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature

So I was correct all that time ago...? If a person is laying on their back, they can't voluntarily lift their legs... But the walking isn't "shuffle walking "? How is that? No hating; I mean I will gladly take any help over what I currently have... But do we have the whole picture here? Or is there more to know coming up

"what???? , you don't 'all' wear a poop sac?.... DAMNIT BONNIE, YOU LIED TO ME ABOUT THE POOP SAC!!!! "

Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature

The force - and hence the degree of muscle recruitment - needed to move a leg against gravity is massively more than that required to swing a leg during walking. I can swing my legs with hip-flexors while standing or on a powder board, but I cannot move them against gravity at all.
    T3 complete since Sept 2015.

Quote Originally Posted by lunasicc42 View Post
    So I was correct all that time ago...? If a person is laying on their back, they can't voluntarily lift their legs... But the walking isn't "shuffle walking "? How is that? No hating; I mean I will gladly take any help over what I currently have... But do we have the whole picture here? Or is there more to know coming up
    Walking is programmed into our spinal cords via the central pattern generator.

But do we have the whole picture here? Or is there more to know coming up
    The whole picture emerges when the data is compiled at the end of the clinical trial series. That's why the FDA requires them before a therapy goes to market for people and insurance companies to pay for.

Also keep in mind these people are doing a very specific and very aggressive exercise program specifically tailored towards walking. Without hours and hours of walking for months, nobody is getting anything back.

Maybe if there was a way to do the same aggressive exercise towards leg movements there would be results.

That being said, if I'm lying on my back I have relatively weak leg movement. I do have some volitional control over my legs but nothing to write home about. And I'm able to walk fairly well for short distances. So I'm not sure how related the two things are...

Quote Originally Posted by GRAMMY View Post
    The whole picture emerges when the data is compiled at the end of the clinical trial series. That's why the FDA requires them before a therapy goes to market for people and insurance companies to pay for.

Thats what I was always getting at but was hesitant to ask for fear of looking greedy or ungrateful.... Real walking, sensitivity etc... Is there more to the recovery than the integaconnect paper displays? I am certainly not demanding extra information 'now' but do we have that to look forward to?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

When I got my spinal cord injury in a instant I was paralyzed. I believe in the future we will be able to fix the nerves the same way in the future in a instant. Dr. Young I give him all the credit in the world for hanging in there. We have to start somewhere and that is how we discover new ways. You never no what you may learn or even stumble across. Keep up the great work Dr. Young.
    Art

Once we learn how to reconnect the axons, then stim - transcutaneous stim - will be needed for the retraining process. Remember, if they can get the axons connected, you're essentially in a newborn state as far as teaching the brain how to use these new connections.
    T3 complete since Sept 2015.

This video raises a lot of questions for me. As we all know, we're at different points on the continuum of life. Some young folks with a lot of life ahead of them may be able to commit more time and energy to this kind of effort. The physical demands are considerable. I wonder about the age of the candidates used in the studies and whether or not that matters. Also, what about modifying the routine - will 3 hours a day, six days a week for six months produce the same or similar results? Or will some other combination of physical therapy work that may give even better results? I guess what I'm wondering is how did they arrive at 666 - did someone just pick that number or did they determine through experiment the optimal strategy? And why can't it be adjusted? Were both men and women used in the trial? I assume both were used, but in so many situations all I see are men. I don't bring this up to create an issue, but are trials inclusive of all groups? We all want to benefit. From what Dr Young said in another thread I'm probably not going to be considered for surgery since I'm 69. But can using transcutaneous stimulation, along with intense physical therapy produce the same or similar results for all groups of people? Is that an approach that's being explored? And wouldn't it be easier to make that a clinical application than the surgical approach, even something that can be done with the help of friends and family, significantly reducing the expense of it all? I don't want to seem selfish, but I'd like to see something reach me in my lifetime. I've heard "we'll have a cure in 5 years" for so long I gave up hope of it happening in my lifetime, and I'm pretty certain I'm not the only one. Along comes transcutaneous stimulation offering so much, I hope it's not being forgotten as an alternative for us you may have missed the boat on the surgical procedure. Please, let's pursue both with equal passion.