Thread: Alternating pressure mattress topper

Blog Entries

Alternating pressure mattress topper

You all may know this already but it was a discovery for me. They make alternating pressure mattress toppers that you can put on your existing bed, without buying a whole alternating pressure mattress. I found many of them on the the typical websites where you might search for most anything. I got a $50 one that’s working decently for me, better than my Roho. There’s no low air loss component, but I don’t need that. The motor just hangs from the footboard and connects with one hose. An alternates every six minutes or so, and you can feel it if you pay attention, but it is not disruptive at all, and is totally silent. It’s a great solution for me.
    Last edited by Random; 10-27-2019 at 05:32 PM.

Caution that many of these don't really provide significant pressure reduction, and bottoming out can be a significant problem.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Blog Entries
    yes, I agree. I would not recommend it to anyone who hasn’t enough sensation to know if she is in trouble. It’s also easy to knock them off the bed frame or disconnect it. But it has served me better than my Roho when not turning for way too long.

Sometimes I also can yawn enough to trigger a spasm that will move me a bit. Any other strategies for that?