Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Power Assist add-on appropriate for the beach?

Power Assist add-on appropriate for the beach?

Is there such a thing, yet?
    Everybody wants freedom.... They just don't want it for everybody else...

A college professor, a man I now consider my dad, once told me...
    "The minute you let someone decide what you can and cannot do, your life is no longer yours." A truer word has never been spoken in my opinion.

Professor Bill Johnston
    (1930- )

There's this sold at Bike-on.https://bike-on.com/freedom-trax.html

That's one of those things that has buyers remorse written all over it. Sorry to sound so cynical. But learning to let go is a big part of dealing with an SCI.

I was wondering about it too August. John Squires(fuentes) seems to really like his. I think a person would have tolive on the beach to take full advantage of it. It's an option though.

Quote Originally Posted by Mutley View Post
    Is there such a thing, yet?
    Not a suitable one that I’m aware of....

Did you ever get someone to make one of your old chairs into a powered one? I was just thinking that one of those Chinese electric wheelchair conversion kits could be adapted for use with with fat-wheels, but I’ve not seen any kits that use quick-release pins, so an old clunker chair would be needed (plus a FreeWheel, or similar).
    Last edited by Gordy1; 10-27-2019 at 09:19 AM.
    Gordon, father of son who became t6 paraplegic at the age of 4 in 2007 as a result of surgery to remove a spinal tumour.

I'd look for a Tracks type (tank or bulldozer) powerchair rental near or in route to beach unless you plan to spend a lot of time there. Not sure if they're available to rent.

Other options;
    Assistant Push only manual chair $2500 - https://www.topmobility.com/de-bug-s...IaAmWyEALw_wcB

Power chair with trax (off road/beach, looks like fun) $25k - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4QEl_IIZZs
    I'd like one just for play.

Beach mat $650 - 10 x 36" sq - https://accesstraxsd.com/product/beach-trax/
    I need this for deep/loose gravel in pathway to my garage. Currently have roll roofing on gravel. Looks OK for a year, then starts to look trashy.

I've seen a Freedom Trax. Narrow track tread width and tracks are close together = soft sand = stuck. Might work well in deep/plush grass or other surfaces hard to push.
    Last edited by Gearhead; 10-27-2019 at 09:30 AM.
    Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway
    Steve Mcqueen (Mr Cool)

By complete coincidence, a video clip came up on my Facebook feed today, showing a guy in a tank chair racing away from some traffic lights just south of Perth. The owner of the chair has seen the post, and said “it’s a mattro der ziesel it does about 70kmh and around 660Nm of torque battery range iv made it from safety bay to Perth motoplex cruised around all day and drove it back to safety bay no problem”.

Just ask the NDIS to fund it for you...!
    Gordon, father of son who became t6 paraplegic at the age of 4 in 2007 as a result of surgery to remove a spinal tumour.

Quote Originally Posted by Gordy1 View Post
    By complete coincidence, a video clip came up on my Facebook feed today, showing a guy in a tank chair racing away from some traffic lights just south of Perth. The owner of the chair has seen the post, and said “it’s a mattro der ziesel it does about 70kmh and around 660Nm of torque battery range iv made it from safety bay to Perth motoplex cruised around all day and drove it back to safety bay no problem”.

Just ask the NDIS to fund it for you...!
    Not sure what NDIS is "down under" but in the US, it's near impossible to get any insurance to pay for off road anything..
    Steve Mcqueen (Mr Cool)

Quote Originally Posted by Gearhead View Post
    Not sure what NDIS is "down under" but in the US, it's near impossible to get any insurance to pay for off road anything..
    National Disability Insurance Scheme. A recent government-funded initiative which is supposed to provide funding to get people with disabilities out into the community (amongst other things). So, in theory, you could apply for something like this, however I suspect that the reality will be somewhat different.... (So my comment was tongue-in-cheek).

Quote Originally Posted by Gordy1 View Post
    National Disability Insurance Scheme. A recent government-funded initiative which is supposed to provide funding to get people with disabilities out into the community (amongst other things). So, in theory, you could apply for something like this, however I suspect that the reality will be somewhat different.... (So my comment was tongue-in-cheek).
    If NDIS is like all insurance I'm familiar with, an absolute necessity would need to be proven. Still wouldn't hurt to try.
    Steve Mcqueen (Mr Cool)