Thread: Length Limit For Carry On Medical Equipment Bags

Length Limit For Carry On Medical Equipment Bags

We finally found what might be the perfect catch-all bag for traveling with situation-specific medical supplies and aides. We found a 35" rolling duffle bag that will hold all of the medical supplies, chair battery charger, PLUS the Roho seat and transfer board! Up until this point I have had to schlep the transfer board and Roho seat from the time my husband gets out of his chair and onto the aisle chair, which can be really difficult given the "normal" carry on bags plus a medical equipment bag that would not hold the board and seat. I cannot find anything concrete about whether or not this oversized carry on will be allowed, given it is strictly for supplies and aides that are necessary for my husband - and items which we would not be able to function without should we check the bag (even though it is free) and take a chance it does not arrive when or where we do. Does anyone know specific rules/laws/ADA info on this question? If we cannot take this great bag ON the plane with us, it is not going to be as useful as we had hoped. Thanks!

Carryon dimensions vary slightly from airline to airline, but the first google result for me (American), said the maximum size is 9x14x22. I don’t know the answer to your question with certainty, but I suspect most airlines would require you to gate check that bag. You have to put it somewhere, and the size you mention doesn’t sound like it’s going to fit in the overhead compartment or under the seat. I can’t think of where else they could put a bag that large safely.

what items do you really need access to on the plane? Sounds like maybe a transfer board and cushion? Maybe they would let you remove those when it was time to board, then stuff the transfer board back in the bag and have it taken to the plane along with the wheelchair.

Yeah, I was afraid of that. Thanks for the info. While I know I'm asking a lot for carry-on, there are just some things we do not want to chance losing when flying. The very expensive Roho seat is one of them, and we need the transfer board to get to and from the aisle chair. Up until this point, I've been carrying both of these along with schlepping whatever carry on bags we are allowed PLUS a medical carry on. Again, I know I'm asking a lot, but it would be so helpful to eliminate having to carry the cushion and the transfer board in addition to the other items. So I guess the question is are we willing to check the big duffle bag with everything in it and chance it not getting to where we end up, or just keep doing what we have been doing? Either way, while the duffle bag is really nice and would work, it was $89 so to keep it and not be able to use it for its intended purpose (i.e., NOT checking it), perhaps we should return it?

Quote Originally Posted by Nickib View Post
    Yeah, I was afraid of that. Thanks for the info. While I know I'm asking a lot for carry-on, there are just some things we do not want to chance losing when flying. The very expensive Roho seat is one of them, and we need the transfer board to get to and from the aisle chair. Up until this point, I've been carrying both of these along with schlepping whatever carry on bags we are allowed PLUS a medical carry on. Again, I know I'm asking a lot, but it would be so helpful to eliminate having to carry the cushion and the transfer board in addition to the other items. So I guess the question is are we willing to check the big duffle bag with everything in it and chance it not getting to where we end up, or just keep doing what we have been doing? Either way, while the duffle bag is really nice and would work, it was $89 so to keep it and not be able to use it for its intended purpose (i.e., NOT checking it), perhaps we should return it?
    I am a little lost so is he in a power chair or wheelchair?

Is he not being lifted in to the isle chair vs self transferring? Should not need a transfer board.

Roho cushion issue is once they lift him on to an isle seat then have the airline pick up the cushion and put it in the over head for you then have them close it once your things are in it so know damages the cushion...and fly with the valve open.

We dont take any bags on the plane but maybe a small carry on for long trips 4 hours or longer and check all of our bags in at ticket counter as you have enough to do.

Check with the airlines but Southwest doesn't charge for any durable things he needs to travel.

Also dont forget to use the carts you can get at baggage claim it makes it more easy if you have a lot and a simple $5 bucks and lets a porter do it for you...