Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: It has happened again

Incredible Bob, we are fortunate to know you all these years. I shared your story wit the Medical Director at Kessler. He was amazed.

Quote Originally Posted by Mize View Post
    Amazing achievement. Congrats. I think often about the moves I make today and how impossible they would be were I not in some sort of shape. I look at my friend and neighbor who is 72 - 20 years my senior - and think about how hard it would be for him to transfer from manual chair to shower chair using only his arms and shoulders, for example. Old age stinks.
    I AM 72 years old (24 yrs T12). I am hanging in pretty well. Had my right leg amputated at the knee last week because of wounds that would never heal, and discovered how much losing the lower leg informs my routine! I've had to get out the un-used transfer board Kessler gave me in 95! (as soon as my butt leaves the chair, my stump hangs down and prevents me getting onto my bed or into my car!)
    I wonder often when I will loose my independence, but I can tell you it won't be soon!

EDIT: I should mention that on day 8 I was performing (trumpet) with my wife and her trio. Some medical people, I get close with. My surgeon and nurse practitioner were in attendance!
    www.juliemacsings.com
    Last edited by pfcs49; 11-05-2019 at 03:09 PM.
    69yo male T12 complete since 1995
    NW NJ

I was wondering how you were doing glad u posted no your to feisty to lose ur indepence for a long time.

I wonder what potential steroids will have in dealing with age related functional loss. I have been on prednisone for several months and noted greatly increased energy and better transfers. At 75 I have been moving furniture all over and my transfers seem stronger. My doctor has tapered my dose significantly and will continue to do so. I wonder if steroids have received such bad press that geriatric benefits have not been well researched.

Quote Originally Posted by ancientgimp View Post
    I wonder what potential steroids will have in dealing with age related functional loss. I have been on prednisone for several months and noted greatly increased energy and better transfers. At 75 I have been moving furniture all over and my transfers seem stronger. My doctor has tapered my dose significantly and will continue to do so. I wonder if steroids have received such bad press that geriatric benefits have not been well researched.
    I have been on prednisone for short periods in the past I definitely got a noticeable boost. It is one of the few meds that I enjoyed taking. I noticed an overall reduction in pain too. However there are problems from long term use.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/