Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21

Thread: how to adjust brakes

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    middle georgia
    Posts
    2,394

    how to adjust brakes

    I have attached picture my brakes are all the way back on frame but they will not hold chair when I do relief or transfer unless I am really careful. my tires are 6 months old
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by SCI-Nurse; 10-24-2019 at 10:47 AM. Reason: clarify topic

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Southern Maryland
    Posts
    116
    You need to move the clamp that holds the brake to the frame itself back. Then you will have the ability to slide the rod that attaches directly to the brake to wherever you need it. I had to do this on my Quickie GT and Q7 when the tires were worn. Thankfully once you move the clamps back (don't move them too much) you should have enough room to adjust them as much as you need when you get new tires.

  3. #3
    I always mark the spot where the clamp is before moving. If painted frame, I scratch the mark. if Titanium, I mark with a sharpie pen, That way I can measure accurately how far to move them back. They look like solid tires so you'll have to move them back. If they were air, it may be just a matter of getting them up to pressure. Make sure you tighten them down good. I use an extender I made from a used axle with the quick release mechanism taken out. I place it over the hex wrench to act as the extension of the wrench. Great for loosening them up also.

  4. #4
    Good advice thus far I have nothing else to add, other than the fact that just looking at that style of brakes makes my thumbnails hurt... bad memories.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    middle georgia
    Posts
    2,394
    Quote Originally Posted by ToastGuard View Post
    You need to move the clamp that holds the brake to the frame itself back. Then you will have the ability to slide the rod that attaches directly to the brake to wherever you need it. I had to do this on my Quickie GT and Q7 when the tires were worn. Thankfully once you move the clamps back (don't move them too much) you should have enough room to adjust them as much as you need when you get new tires.
    they are moved back as far as they will go yes solid tires and they are 6 months old but have a lot of miles on them

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    middle georgia
    Posts
    2,394
    Quote Originally Posted by funklab View Post
    Good advice thus far I have nothing else to add, other than the fact that just looking at that style of brakes makes my thumbnails hurt... bad memories.
    dumb question why or how? ur thumb nails hurt?

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    707
    You need to loosen the black clamp, and then slide the whole assembly back towards your rear wheels.
    Rollin' since '89. Complete C8

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Southern Maryland
    Posts
    116
    Quote Originally Posted by vjls View Post
    they are moved back as far as they will go yes solid tires and they are 6 months old but have a lot of miles on them
    I can see from the picture you can move the clamp that attaches to the frame. That will allow you to move the rod that actually attaches to the brake.

    His fingernails hurt seeing these (just like mine) because of the amount of times we jammed thumbs into those type brakes while pushing hard. I switched to these and have been incredibly happy since. https://www.dmehub.net/Compact-Compo...p/otf-cswl.htm

  9. #9
    Have you checked the allen head screws on the brakes themselves? If bolts get wobbly and loose the brakes get messed up.

    If you can't put the clamp on the other side of the rigidizer bar due to making the problem too close, you may need different brakes. Those seem like cheap ones anyway, but maybe the single bar works best with solids, I don't know. In the meantime if you loosen the clamp and rotate the bar down towards the floor a bit it will hit the tire sooner albeit on and angle. I know this trick works with pneumatics. I have not tried it with solids though.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

  10. #10
    Tire pressure affects the brakes. Brakes slip as tires lose air pressure. Adjust your brakes with tire pressure slightly less than desired. Then add air. Now your brakes will hold better.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •