Thread: Discharge with an Ostomy

Discharge with an Ostomy

I was wondering if anyone could possibly provide me with some information? I had an ostomy done over year and half ago. As far as I know I have never seen the so called stool that is suppose to come out once and while. However now for the past month I am having some sort of fluid and what looks like skid marks showing up on my underware. I don't know what to think. I am guessing my colon is full of the so called stool and needs to come out. i bought an enema and am hoping that it might cause whatever is up there to come out. If not I guess I would have to do digital stim to see if I can get whatever is up there out. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what to do or what is going on

Thanks
    Nevada

78 views but no replies I am guessing that this might be something serious if no one else with an ostomy has had this issue

About two years post-colostomy, I started getting brownish effluvia of the butt. The GI docs said it was diversion colitis. Apparently the walls of the bowel are colonized with a flora that is on a fecal diet and when deprived of it, goes ballistic including producing the effluvia.
    I consulted with three GI docs who prescribed stuff to shove up my ass to placate the little buggers. Nothing worked. All agreed that I should get the leftover bowel and lower colon excised, although the last doc opined that if I restored the tract (re-connected upper and lower colons) the problem would go away.
    I elected the resection option. Now while there is a little butt snot, it's manageable.

PS: AFAIK, people with my problem are in the minority. Apparently most colostomies are a breeze. Figures
    69yo male T12 complete since 1995
    NW NJ

I usually have to do a digi-stim once a year or sometimes more often just to get any of the mucus buildup out. But it's never been a problem.
    "It is every man's obligation to put back into the world at least the equivalent of what he takes out of it. Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein

replies above and the thread listed is all correct

how is the output from your ostomy? How often is your output and what is the consistency?
    i have had patients who have had to do enemas on that lower colon that is still intact and enemas on the ostomy upper colon area as well if constipated.

i would recommend that you consult the an ostomy nurse - maybe the surgeon has one or the hospital where you had the surgery has one?

pbr
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Thank you all for your replies I am going to do the enema tonight and hopefully, that will solve the problem

Ostomy for 10 years. I get the brown mucus about every eight months. All I do is get in the shower in my sling and have my aide stick a douche bottle up my anus and squirt in it. She has to refill the bottle about two times with lukewarm water but it clears everything out. Before I discovered the douche bottle we used digital stimulation and get the mucous out that way. It was a long process and it caused me to sweat a lot. Now it takes five minutes and the problem is solved for me.