Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: In search of locking knee braces

In search of locking knee braces

I am looking for locking knee braces for both legs. I have parallel bars and I would like to use them for exercise purposes. I need to be able to use the braces without assistance. The braces need to allow for my knees to bend and then be able to lock my legs in an entirely straightened position. I bought some in the past but they left a slight bend in my knees and that is not what I want. I don't mind spending some money on a good pair...but I need them to actually DO what I need them to do. I asked the Christopher Reeves Foundation for suggestions but I got an email telling me that they cannot make recommendations. Please...has anyone bought good ones that actually work? Thank you in advance

Kessler has brace clinic. They have to be made just for you.

This type of brace is called a KAFO (Knee, ankle, foot orthosis). They really need to be custom made by a good orthotist to fit properly. Have you asked your physician to order them and submit to your insurance for approval?

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Good orthotist, not Hanger.

Quote Originally Posted by spinner View Post
    Good orthotist, not Hanger.
    Hanger's getting to be the only game in town - the orthotist where I got my KAFO said Hanger is buying up scores of small independent clinics.

There have been quite a few posts here over the years about how bad Hanger is, but no specifics. Why does Hanger have such a poor reputation?
    MS with cervical and thoracic cord lesions

Hanger indeed has bought out many good orthotists practices, but I know that the the ones in my area continue to provide quality work and services as they did before being bought out. I think that there is a wide variation in the quality of Hanger owned clinics.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Thanks, KLD. I'm glad to know the problems aren't systemic.
    MS with cervical and thoracic cord lesions

Have you been on the internet to search for "leg braces" in order to learn the types of leg braces? I have seen plastic splint/like ones and metal ones. Also, there may be a reason for the slight bend at the knee. It would help if you could discuss with an orthotist to see if what you want is possible. However, they may not want to see you without a prescription from your doctor.

Are your legs physically able to be in an 'entirely straightened position', as you have wanted? Sometimes "contractions" at the joint develop due to paralysis. Your doctor and the orthotist should be able to determine if there is anything preventing your knees from being straightened, such as contractions, and it might be helpful information before you go ahead with your plan.

The correct term is "contracture", Triump.

https://now.aapmr.org/contractures/

For Crybaby, have you been standing and/or walking for a long time? If not, you should get your bone density checked and consult with your physician before attempting brace walking. I have seen several people break a leg when they attempted this after a long period of not walking or standing.

(KLD)
    Last edited by SCI-Nurse; 10-22-2019 at 02:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    The correct term is "contracture", Triump.

https://now.aapmr.org/contractures/

For Crybaby, have you been standing and/or walking for a long time? If not, you should get your bone density checked and consult with your physician before attempting brace walking. I have seen several people break a leg when they attempted this after a long period of not walking or standing.

(KLD)
    Thanks for the info SCI Nurse - that web site has great information.