Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Off-Road Or "Beefed-up" Casters?

Off-Road Or "Beefed-up" Casters?

Does anyone know if there are any casters made for off road? I dont mean mud but casters that can easily go through cracks and grass at the very least.

Not so much a freewheel because you can't use it in your house. But more of a permanent solution to swap out OEM casters for.

I use caster wheels that have pneumatic 2X8 inch tires on my I-Glide. They work exceptionally well off-road. Pneumatic that size are a little difficult to find. Mine came off a Quickie manual.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Quote Originally Posted by ProPulse View Post
    Does anyone know if there are any casters made for off road? I dont mean mud but casters that can easily go through cracks and grass at the very least.

Not so much a freewheel because you can't use it in your house. But more of a permanent solution to swap out OEM casters for.
    Yes, I like the Innova slickcut tires and 8 inch superstar wheels. I like that the tires are rated for higher pressure at 50psi...

http://www.trampaboards.com/8-inch-s...eels-c-26.html

Quote Originally Posted by nonoise View Post
    I use caster wheels that have pneumatic 2X8 inch tires on my I-Glide. They work exceptionally well off-road. Pneumatic that size are a little difficult to find. Mine came off a Quickie manual.
    These roll easier at 50psi, i have the slick cuts and inlines, i like the slickcut best. http://www.trampaboards.com/innova-s...e-p-12771.html

Thank you for the quick response nonoise! Do you think those would work well for everyday use? Also, is it pretty common to be able to swap out OEM casters for those easily?

I spoke to giles88 on the phone today. A lot of great feedback on OEM caster alternatives.

Thank you for the quick response nonoise! Do you think those would work well for everyday use? Also, is it pretty common to be able to swap out OEM casters for those easily?

I spoke to giles88 on the phone today. A lot of great feedback on OEM caster alternatives.
    They work perfect for everyday use outside. I use mine inside some, but they are bulky. I always say large wheels outside, small inside. Swapping the OEM is not necessarily easy, the forks have to be replaced also and the front of of the chair is likely to be lifted causing the dump to change, so an adjustable chair is best. Clearance for the footrest might be an issue too. Below is a source for forks that should work. I think the steering axle is the same 1/2 inch so those can be swapped. And the tires are probably solids so those would need changing out too.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hoveround-T...ty!98106!US!-1
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Quickies in the 80-90's had quick release caster stems on the chairs. I had a chair with a set of 4 inch wheels and forks and 8 inch wheels and forks.

@nonoise The link is much appreciated.

It isn't as straight forward as I imagined for most modern chairs (just popping off the caster and putting in the over sized ones). I'm asking because a lot of the feedback we have retrieved mentions the small casters posing a risk to the users with a power add on and hitting cracks/bumps on pavement.

I'm trying to decide if we should be creating some sort of universal caster replacements with wider tires or if we should leave for the users to do/decide on their own like smart drive has? This questions is most important with respect to over-all safety but also worth noting that liability is a risk too.

@baldfatdad I wish that they kept the quick release casters on the modern chairs!! :,(

@nonoise The link is much appreciated.

It isn't as straight forward as I imagined for most modern chairs (just popping off the caster and putting in the over sized ones). I'm asking because a lot of the feedback we have retrieved mentions the small casters posing a risk to the users with a power add on and hitting cracks/bumps on pavement.

I'm trying to decide if we should be creating some sort of universal caster replacements with wider tires or if we should leave for the users to do/decide on their own like smart drive has? This questions is most important with respect to over-all safety but also worth noting that liability is a risk too.
    IMO you cannot rebuild the chairs to fit oversize casters. In most cases not even 6X1.25 inch could be used even it they fit due to often fixed dump and caster steering axle angle. My TiLite ZR has 5 inch solid casters which I cannot improve. When I put it back in service with a power add-on I will use the add-on with a Free Wheel.