Thread: Cancer and damaged spinal cords

Cancer and damaged spinal cords

So I recently found out I have stage 4 metastatic cancer and am wondering how with my damaged spinal cord treatment will have any odd effects on me. What do I need to watch out for that others don't?

So sorry to hear about your cancer diagnosis.

Will you be having surgery? Radiation? Chemotherapy? Immunotherapy?

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

It is spread too many places for surgery or radiation so the current plan is chemo.

Where was the cancer originally?
    what is your level of spinal cord injury?
    pbr
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Quote Originally Posted by Reader View Post
    So I recently found out I have stage 4 metastatic cancer and am wondering how with my damaged spinal cord treatment will have any odd effects on me. What do I need to watch out for that others don't?
    At the time he passed away, GJ was 13 years in remission, non-Hodgkins lymphoma. Non-Hodgkins is not a curable cancer, but it can have long remissions cycles. GJ did not pass from this cancer.

He had a pretty rigorous chemotherapy. Compromised immune system was probably the most difficult problem to deal with in regard to infections. Bladder infections were more frequent and he had a run in with C. diff., (Clostridium difficile). His skin changed and it seemed to be more susceptible to pressure. He never had a severe skin breakdown, but we were diligent about positioning and pressure relief.

GJ always had good personal habits, but we doubled down on nutrition, hydration, and rest.

I wish you well.
    NL

I am incomplete C6-7 and after the years of cumulative joint damage from using the manual chair too long I don't have the range of motion in my shoulders to get ready for morning appointments by myself anymore. After going through the run around today of getting scheduled and sent to the lab to get blood work done and getting the call from the person who had just scheduled me letting me know they had to reschedule me again I have decided I have fought long enough. This is a battle it is impossible to win and I don't have any fight left. I kind of wonder what made me think I should have thought about it in the first place. The one open spot I do have will probably never heal the way it is going and the way "they" are talking. One of the bone cancer sites is in the sacrum and my idiot Roho decided to quit holding air. I am sitting on my 19 year old back up. The only Roho I have ever had that sprang a leak that we just plain can't find the leak in picked the worst time possible to go belly up.

It is just plain looking impossible to get chemo scheduled at this point. Factoring in getting ready, transportation..... before I would even get started this ride in the House of Horrors just isn't going to get started.