Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Automobile safety features are making us stupid.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Automobile safety features are making us stupid.

A few weeks ago, my daughter left her home in route to work. While still in a residential area, a new Mercedes backed out of a driveway and T-boned my girls 2014 VW in the drivers door.
    Lucky my girl wasn't injured but her car was totaled.
    Immediately after the crash, the MB lady got out of her car. Surprised and a little angry, she said that her car should not have allowed the crash to happen.
    She told the police, (paraphrase) I didn't look, I don't have to look, my car is designed to stop by it self to prevent a crash. This is in the accident report.

I think it was Einstein that said, technology will make us dumber. This story proves his theory.
    Ron White says, "you can't fix stupid". I say we aren't trying to fix it, we're enabling it.
    We need the Gallagher stupid gun. "Here's your sign".
    Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway
    Steve Mcqueen (Mr Cool)

Agree….Why I don't like the new technology they are putting in these vehicles. Really unneeded and makes people more lazy. Makes vehicles more expensive also. I hope she got a ticket for not looking. In the future it will only get worse.
    Art

Might be a good idea to give Tesla drivers lots of room. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhObsMnipS8
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

My new Pacifica is full of blind spots. Especially the two front window posts. They'll hide a person bigtime. Hate all this technology too. Really relieved your daughter is okay.
    People are more lazy and agressive. Perhaps we need to start showing films like Signal 30 again to the newer drivers. Scared the heck out of me.

Signal 30 was a film they showed in high schools in the '60's. It was actual accident scenes with full injuries shown.

Quote Originally Posted by Gearhead View Post
    A few weeks ago, my daughter left her home in route to work. While still in a residential area, a new Mercedes backed out of a driveway and T-boned my girls 2014 VW in the drivers door.
    Lucky my girl wasn't injured but her car was totaled.
    Immediately after the crash, the MB lady got out of her car. Surprised and a little angry, she said that her car should not have allowed the crash to happen.
    She told the police, (paraphrase) I didn't look, I don't have to look, my car is designed to stop by it self to prevent a crash. This is in the accident report.

I think it was Einstein that said, technology will make us dumber. This story proves his theory.
    Ron White says, "you can't fix stupid". I say we aren't trying to fix it, we're enabling it.
    We need the Gallagher stupid gun. "Here's your sign".
    that's unreal they are testing 18 wheelers I am in the trucking industry hell no we don/t need this

There is terrible rear quarter visibility out of my GTI, so I made this better mirror out of quarter-inch reflective lucite.
    This was a great improvement! Now I can see Out both rear quarter windows and change lanes with impunity. It was larger but I kind of trimmed it down especially above the radar detector where it was blocking my signal.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    69yo male T12 complete since 1995
    NW NJ

Most new safety features are good ideas and do prevent a lot of accidents. Would I like a vehicle that could detect a child in my blind spot? Yes I would. However, I control the vehicle and would (if I had them) consider these safety features as a secondary supplement to my senses (like PFCS's mirror), not a primary accident prevention tool or replacement for common sense. Watch the ads on TV. I don't recall any warnings like: safety features are not intended to replace driver input.

Autonomous vehicles are a PR scam (more marketing BS). The only way they can be near safe is with a dedicated lane with a detection strip imbedded. Feds and states won't invest in that for a long time. Legally, Tesla calls their system "driver assist" but you won't hear a salesman or ad call it that. As Paul Harvey would say, "wake up America".

Sales and marketing are to blame for our AI dependant society, in my opinion. Example: who is so lazy that they need a smart phone to check inventory in their refrigerator.
    Use it or lose it, especially true for the brain and common sense.
    Steve Mcqueen (Mr Cool)

19 years ago i spent a year in Oakland, CA, and I had a car to get around. By then CA had taken the law that drivers must always defer to pedestrians and enforced it to an extreme. One result I witness with amazement was high schoolers blithely crossing streets without looking right and left. They just assumed cars would stop.

I assumed they were making themselves into a generation ripe for the "Darwin Awards". Adults with no sense that the world is a dangerous place and our soft little bodies are very vulnerable. Cell phones nurture the same habits. My world in in my phone, not on the street I walk down. Results are things like a really nice, smart guy I met on an SCI forum who had stepped off a curb into the path of a bus, thus becoming a paraplegic.

I was taught to be aware of my environment. I'm still a quad, though, and now my biggest risk-taking behavior is delaying trips to the bathroom.

When my daughter was 12, I got her a small dirt bike. At 14, I built her a Honda CA 160 (baby dream). Before each ride, I preached the same sermon and had her repeat it back to me. Many details on how to stay alive but the main jest was "be aware of your surroundings and potential dangers". At 16, I got her a CB400F. I no longer preached but had her repeat what I had told her every time we took off for a ride. My biggest point was about red lights and stop signs. Just because the light is green, doesn't mean all is clear. Look enough times and you will see someone run a red light. If the red light runner hits you and kills you, you were in the right but you'll be "dead right".

Yea, cell phone addiction is part of Darwinism or natural selection. I have seen people walk into traffic, never looking up till they heard tires screeching. I was in a bus when that happened and my chair came loose from it's straps and into some sitting in seats. Since, I no longer sit in chair on bus, I sit in bus seats.
    In a hospital elevator, the door opened for others to get in. A lady texting walked in and stumbled on me and my small travel chair. I told her texting is like chewing gum, some can't do either and walk at the same time. I got the "how dare you" look.

Hand function prevents me from texting. I'm selling stuff and trying to find handymen. I have noticed many people don't like talking on phone, they want to text. I can't do, so email is how I have to communicate with them. Slows things down and probably cost me a lot of sales.
    I have a friend that will answer a text while I'm talking with him on the phone.
    So, texting is a pain in my arse even though I don't do it.

People have been programed to not pay attention, phone or no phone. Next time in a down town area, look at the people that don't look before crossing the street. Crossing sign says it's OK so it must be (until someone runs the red light).
    Steve Mcqueen (Mr Cool)

Quote Originally Posted by Gearhead View Post
    this is the most infuriating thing I’ve read this week. This lady should lose her license. She’s clearly too dumb to be trusted with a four thousand pound projectile.

i don’t think we can blame her idiocy entirely on the technology.