Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gentamicin Not Helping Much

Angry Gentamicin Not Helping Much

I am frustrated that gentamicin hasn?t seem to help my bladder symptoms much at all. After using gentamicin daily for 7 days as prescribed by my doctor after a culture of urine came back with bacteria present, my symptoms including bladder spasms, bladder Voiding (also known as pissing your pants) and increased overall neurogenic pain, has not improved much at all.
    My urologist prescribed Gentamicin after a urine culture came back with bacteria present though they couldn?t determine if I had an actual infection or it Was more bacteria colonizing. My bladder problems just seem to go on and on. In September I wasn?t on intervenous anabiotic?s for a week to clear out a strong pseudomonas strain bacteria and that was after trying a couple different types of oral antibiotics for bladder/UTI infections.

Anyone else not have good results with gentamicin? Are there other similar ladder installation medicines out there that others found to be better?

Here are two of my recent posts about my bladder problems/UTI infections. The first was about using gentamicin the first time and the second about needing intravenous antibiotics to kill off a strong strain of bacteria.

http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...ght=Gentamicin

http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...-UTI-Infection
    C4/5 incomplete, 17 years since injury

"The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same.” - Carlos Castaneda

"We live not alone but chained to a creature of a different kingdom: our body." - Marcel Proust

Vancomycin installation really is indicated for prevention of UTI & colonization, not for treatment of UTIs or eradication of colonization. It doesn't manage symptoms such as burning, spasm, etc either.

Has your urologist investigated possible urologic sources of bacterial seeding to your bladder such as prostatitis, bladder diverticuli, or stones?

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

I know for sure I don’t have any bladder Stones. I should’ve mentioned above that I have a suprapubic catheter. With the SP tube would that eliminate the issue of An inflamed prostrate being the cause of my symptoms?

"The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same.” - Carlos Castaneda

"We live not alone but chained to a creature of a different kingdom: our body." - Marcel Proust

Also, I really don’t think I have bladder diverticula which I found out after I looked it up, it is a pouch that can form in the bladder wall or it’s present from congenitally. About a month ago now my urologist did a Botox injection procedure, Examined the bladder with a scope and found no problems. Actually he said my bladder looked good.

Quote Originally Posted by KyleP2112 View Post
    I know for sure I don’t have any bladder Stones. I should’ve mentioned above that I have a suprapubic catheter. With the SP tube would that eliminate the issue of An inflamed prostrate being the cause of my symptoms?
    No.

Have you been screened for kidney stones?

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

hydronephrosis possibly. as kld mentioned gent instills are for prevention not treatment
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

About the kidney stones causing some symptoms I have been having… Could kidney stones cause voiding (emptying) of my bladder? The avoiding seems to happen almost entirely when I’m up in the wheelchair sitting in an upright position . My bladder doesn’t seem to void when I’m laying down in bed nearly as much.

Kidney stones don't cause bladder spasms, but they can seed bacteria over and over into the urine, causing UTIs, which can cause bladder spasm. Stones hide bacteria and protect them from antibiotics that are excreted in your urine from you kidneys.

I would also recommend that you ask your urologist if you could possibly have interstitial cystitis. It is a condition that is not common in those with SCI, but I have seen it before. Biopsy of your bladder wall lining is usually required to make this diagnosis.

Also want to shout out to eliminating caffeine from your diet...it can make an irritable bladder much more irritable.

(KLD)

I have not been evaluated for kidney stones in quite a while. My previous urologist would do an ultrasound of my kidneys annually along with the cystoscopy of my bladder. Going to speak to the Rob just about getting an ultrasound done.

Anyone have experience with kidney stones? What symptoms did you have? Anyone have kidney stones cause UTI infections and bladder avoiding, I. E. Pissing your pants?

You should get an annual screening (at least an ultrasound) of your kidneys, ureters, and bladder, looking for stones, hydronephrosis, and other complications that can often be totally silent as far as signs and symptoms. As above, kidney stones themselves do not cause bladder symptoms, although they can sometimes cause AD, and flank pain if you have sensation. Kidney stones can protect bacteria from antibiotics, keeping your urine colonized and increasing the risks of UTIs. A UTI may cause bladder spasm which can lead to incontinence in many.

(KLD)