Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quad leg bag setup

Quad leg bag setup

Hey everyone,

I've been using a leg bag for the past four or five months. I use a Urocare reusable latex bag on my upper thigh attached directly to my SPT and one of their quick drain valves connected to an 18 inch tube down my leg so that I can operate it through my pants without any hand dexterity to speak of. However, I found that the quick drain valve is really touchy, and sometimes opens up unexpectedly during the day. That leaves me pretty nervous all the time, and I wonder what other people are using with similar hand limitations. Is there any silver bullet that's easy enough to use, but also super reliable so it doesn't pour out unexpectedly?

Thank you!

Try using a Hollister 9085 bag.

Do you use a power chair? If so, have you considered an electric leg bag drainage valve?

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Thanks for the tip Rustyjames! I'll give that one a try.
    KLD - thanks for the recommendation. I've seen that mentioned here before, and a lot of people seem to think it's a great idea. I'm a little reluctant to use it, as I'm desperately trying to make the transition to a manual chair and hope to avoid complexity that makes me more dependent on devices and what not wherever I can. But it certainly has some appeal.

Are you using the standard twist valve on your Urocare bag or the add-on flip valve?

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Are you using the standard twist valve on your Urocare bag or the add-on flip valve?

(KLD)
    It's the add-on valve, as I wasn't able to operate the twist one. Trouble is, the flip lever gets caught on the fabric of my pants and opens unexpectedly all the time.

Bard flip-flow or Hollister vinyl bag (as above).

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Bard flip-flow or Hollister vinyl bag (as above).

(KLD)
    Great, thank you! I'll try them both.

Denver, Colorado USA ---- C5/6 Complete 1985
    I like the Freedom Flow, which has a remote button to empty the bag. I just bought a new one because it has an easier connect and disconnect for the tubing. Can't wait to try it! But not cheap, $420, with shipping.

https://www.freedom-flow.com/how-it-works
    "Cherish your tears. If you can cry, you still have some humanity left, and you are reclaiming more of it." -- David Kelly

Denver, Colorado USA ---- C5/6 Complete 1985
    Here's someone doing a demo of his Freedom Flow. He also mentions the JB3 ($240 or so) which I've also used. I'll eventually make a demo video of my new Freedom Flow as well, since I hook it up differently than he does.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7U8hiR3VMIo
    "Cherish your tears. If you can cry, you still have some humanity left, and you are reclaiming more of it." -- David Kelly