Thread: Changing routine

Changing routine

Hi all, for the past 25 years, I've done my bowel program in bed. I'm not exactly sure why, but that is what I've done. However, more and more I've given thought to doing it while sitting up. I feel with gravity on my side I may have a more complete "emptying". I don't currently have any issues with accidents. My current program involves digital stim, followed by a magic bullet, wait 30 minutes, and then stim every 10 minutes until the program is over. Sometimes I have some results within that 30 minute window.

So if I were to switch to sitting up, I understand I would insert the bullet as I do now, and then wait 30 minutes before transferring by lift to the chair? Would digital stim still be necessary? If so, how does a caretaker do so with the chair in the way?

Hi! I do my sitting routine. The assistant places 1/2 magic bullet while lying down, I wait 5 minutes and they transfer me to the hygienic chair. I wait 40 minutes in which fecal matter usually comes out without stimulation and then perform 4/5 stimulations every 10 minutes for everything to come out. Then they shower me and that's it.

Dig stim is primarily for gettIng the anal sphincter to relax and let stool in the rectal vault to pass, so is usually done after the suppository, which primarily increases colon peristalsis and moves stool into the rectal vault.

Rule of thumb for bowel program changes is one change per week.

Many do find doing bowel care up on a commode results. in both faster and more complete emptying.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Is there a process for an attendant performing stim. I'd imagine the chair is a bit of an obstacle.

Depends on your brand, model, and seat of your commode and clearance between the seat and toilet bowl. Sitting on the floor on a towel next to you is easier on your PCA's knees than squatting.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.